The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just can't catch a break, seems we deal with one thing then move on to the next (random stuff but stressful enough!).

So we have 2 yearlings that looked like they had a small spot of mites on them.
#1 has a small spot on her side (pic below).
#2 had a small area on her rear leg, then a spot at the top of her front leg and a spot on her other side on side of belly.

I cleaned with Chlorohexidine then applied Nu Stock. Earlier this week I bathed them in Weavers medicated shampoo and blow dried them (first baths of the season).

Yesterday I noticed #2 - whatever it is it's spreading up her side and on her lower belly/heart girth area. I scrubbed her really good with Chlorohexidine and applied Nu Stock. I got a better look at it today, and am worried it may be ring worm. The spots lose hair and feel slightly raised - they may or may not have a scab in the middle.

#1 today I went over her and found several new spots - most have a red scab in the middle.

I am beyond aggravated and frustrated. We had a skin issue much like this last summer after going to a show - but thought perhaps it was from flies/screwworm or something of that sort. But definitely not from flies since they aren't out 'yet.'

I cleaned with Chlorohexidine and applied Shapley's M-T-G

Any ideas on how we can get rid of this and keep it from spreading? These does are supposed to be shown in about a month :(
It's crazy how those other spots came up so fast.

Doe #1 (lower spot was the only one she had on Monday)

Doe #1

#2 this was the original spot on her back leg.

#2 original spot on front leg

#2 all these new spots. I didn't get pics of the belly area as you can't really see much yet, but you can feel the scabs. I scraped the scabs off, cleaned with Chlorohexidine as mentioned above and rubbed in Shapley's.

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Any kind of black light will work? I've never used one (lol). I can stop at Walmart.

Never heard if Malaseb, I'll have to google it.

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not ringworm per black light.

Goat Blessings - I plan on cleaning with bleach tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll clean in the morning and apply Nu Stock in the afternoon ir M-T-G perhaps since I have some left.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Be careful, straight bleach burns the skin and can scar it.
I wouldn't go straight bleach.

I would take the goat to the vet and have them do a skin scrapping to determine what is happening.

The pic with the open sore, have you checked for warbles? Or was it that you had cleaned the area to clean skin?

Organic coconut oil works on a lot of skin ailments. Use it daily 2 x a day for a week.
Get it a health food store and put it on the area.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
We have the exact. same. spots. on our goats. Nustock usually takes care of it. I think it might be ringworm but we don't have a blacklight. It doesn't look like ringworm though as you saw. We tried chlorohexidine, blu-kote, and nu-stock. Nu-stock is the only thing that works. I think it may be zinc deficiency as well and @goathiker said it could be from rubbing on fence. So frustrating. I agree with @toth boer goats that a skin scraping is probably the only way to tell for sure what it is.

https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/is-this-ringworm.204329/

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Be careful, straight bleach burns the skin and can scar it.
I wouldn't go straight bleach.

I would take the goat to the vet and have them do a skin scrapping to determine what is happening.

The pic with the open sore, have you checked for warbles? Or was it that you had cleaned the area to clean skin?

Organic coconut oil works on a lot of skin ailments. Use it daily 2 x a day for a week.
Get it a health food store and put it on the area.
Gah! I had a cat with the warbles once. It was right on top of his head and omg gross!

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Everyone! I'm definitely calling the vet Monday about doing a skin scrape. I can't keep guessing as this is frustrating and not knowing what the right treatment is has been nerve wrecking!
I was worried about warbles, but I am not seeing any holes in the skin. There is the irritated skin, scab, then just bald skin.
We had something similar last year which was bizarre - it only affected the back leg no where else, and I do think that was probably fly related. I haven't seen any flies at all so far this year, but we've had a lot of gnats which are common this time of year. I spray the girls with bug spray in the mornings before they go out to graze because of the gnats irritating their bellies.

The only other thing I can think of is.... could mites do this? In adults when we have a random case of mites it's usually under dew claw or on the legs. But with them shedding out, and skin more vulnerable? If it were mites maybe a skin infection? The skin feels harder/slightly raised in the bald spots.

I did clean the areas really well with straight bleach this morning and it didn't seem to bother them? I lathered them up with Nu Stock this evening.

Doe #2 - has crusty/scabby feeling skin on lower shoulder above the bald spots on her front leg. I will keep checking on them 2x a day for any new spots or any changes.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Mites was my other suspicion. Our goat's spots feel exactly the same with the raised hard skin. We have injected ivermectin a few times when they were itching super bad over the whole body. But don't know for sure if it was mites. The scabby skin makes sense, but the spots seem to appear really quickly, and I thought mites progressed slowly with intense itching and the goats biting at themselves.

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mites was my other suspicion. Our goat's spots feel exactly the same with the raised hard skin. We have injected ivermectin a few times when they were itching super bad over the whole body. But don't know for sure if it was mites. The scabby skin makes sense, but the spots seem to appear really quickly, and I thought mites progressed slowly with intense itching and the goats biting at themselves.
Frustrating isn't it?
My only other thought is mineral deficiency allowing issues to flair up? Our girls are horrible about eating minerals no matter what brand we use. I don't understand it.
I've noticed some brown scabs on the tips of tails, but not really fishtail. But I'd assume that a sign of copper issues.
We dosed our does on 4/2 with 4 grams of copper EXCEPT... these 2 does! Of course that doesn't mean it has anything to do with the issue....
I gave these 2 girls 4 grams of copper on 4/23 and some selenium e gel (they got Bo-Se 1 1/2 cc on 2/10 but #2 and another doe still have slightly bent tails - which I was told could be selenium).
#1 is a leaner doe, had cocci (not awful but high enough to treat), gaining and looking great other than this skin issue.
#2 is in great body condition (chunky monkey!), hair may be slightly course/curly on the ends but she is still shedding out. Had a higher cocci count in fecal which totally surprised me on 4/10.

We have 21 goats and I'm not really seeing any issues with the others except a young wether that may be getting mites (stress from moving, banding, and getting used to handling doesn't help!).

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's still spreading. Doe #1 now has random spots all over her sides. #2 has some more spots starting to form above the others. I did lather her up in Nu Stock again, but #1 has them so randomly I couldn't do Nu stock.
They are tiny little spots and a few bigger ones with a crusty scab in the middle, if you pick the scab off, it may or may not have red or ***** looking skin underneath.

I'm definitely ruling flies out. This has got to be viral/bacterial, but wondering if a very aggressive mite could be doing this? So bizarre.

OR

I'm really wondering if it could be Staph? Would Staph spread like that? Strange that it's just these 2 does (but thankful it's only those 2).

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
This seems like it is exactly what our goats have! It was worse last summer, disappeared during the winter and this spring a couple of goats have it but not as bad as last summer. Since our goats are basically just pets we just put nu stock on the spots. I did some threads on here and never could figure it out. I also didn't think it was bites because it spreads so fast. Do they lick the spots? I'm curious to see what it is.

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will keep you updated 21goaties! I'm going to get the Providone-Iodine solution at TSC in a little while, and may start them on PenG. Someone on FB in a group I just asked in said Excede, but not sure I can get a few doses from the vet - she's a small animal vet who tries to help me out. I can't afford to get a bottle of it right now (around $250!). In 9 years of having goats I've never had to use an Rx antibiotic.

Also - someone made the comment not all types of Ringworm will glow, so that's something to keep in mind.
I'm definitely calling about the skin scrape tomorrow morning.

We also had something similar come up last year, really thought it was from flies! But no flies. I'm wondering if this really is a case of mites that has a secondary infection. Especially since I missed the copper bolusing on these girls. Sometimes goats are easy to figure out and sometimes.....they throw us a curve ball that makes us crazy! :reading:(headsmash)(doh)

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I hope you get the problem solved quickly. Really strange that those are the two that did not get the bolus at same time as others.

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. This is definitely the last thing I need right now :( So much else going on - not all bad, just super busy to the point I just can't get caught up.

We started the girls on PenG this evening, and I used straight bleach on the spots/areas so hopefully something helps. I wanted to use the Iodine solution but my husband wanted me to use straight bleach again like Goat Blessings had mentioned.

I'll call the vet in the morning and get her input as well.

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We have 2 more does in that pen with a spot on each of them, ugh.

Took 2 girls to the vet today - #2 and one that just developed one overnight. Both also have some hair loss and crusty scabs around the chin/below the bottom lip. I didn't notice that before.

He said it is not sore mouth, and doubts ringworm. He did a skin scrap on #2, and found a lot of bacteria, but no mites in the skin scrape. Pulled hair/skin from affected area for a culture, and said it will be about 5-7 days before we may be able to get results from that.

He gave them each a shot of Draxxin and we'll see if that helps clear it up. If it works then we'll work on getting the others treated. I'll keep #1 on penG 1x a day.
Going to clean with Iodine and alternate with Chlorhexidine.
He thinks mites could still be a culprit and bacterial infection secondary so wants me to treat with injectable ivermectin which makes me super nervous - I switched to pour on because we had a bad reaction to injectable years ago that was so bad I thought I'd killed the doe.

So... that's where we are at.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts