The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have mostly just standard chain link fence gates. MHM, easy to open. So one goat has now trained herself how. So everyday I find she has opened my gates to my milking stall and then get out. She even goes to kindly let the buck out! With the rest of the goats following.
what can I do to prevent this? Bungie cords???

THANKS,
@healthyishappy

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
we use D clips. Out goats can open the chain link gates too

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
595 Posts
Most chain-link gates have a slot you can put a carabiner clip through.
Our lamanchas are so smart, they can open just about any gate. Everything is clipped!
At a goat show earlier this year, I forgot to bring chain & clips.
My goats went on several walk abouts trying to find me LOL

Bungee cords scare me, I've seen so many injured goats online to even think about using them around my goats.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most chain-link gates have a slot you can put a carabiner clip through.
Our lamanchas are so smart, they can open just about any gate. Everything is clipped!
At a goat show earlier this year, I forgot to bring chain & clips.
My goats went on several walk abouts trying to find me LOL

Bungee cords scare me, I've seen so many injured goats online to even think about using them around my goats.
OH! that's a WONDERFUL idea! Thanks! I will find some of those around the house.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
71rH2t9aSwL._SL1500_.jpg

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
We call them D clips around here LOL ^^^^

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
We use a carabiner in the hole on the latch of the chain-link gates. Works perfect!

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
Around our farm, we always keep stock of carabiners, zip ties, tarps, duct tape, and hay string. LOL. We can fix up just about anything with those things HAHAHA

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Lol hay strings are my go to, zip ties are my husbands lol
Be careful with bungie cords, years ago I saw a post about a goat the bad the bungie cord go threw her cheek. I thought dang that was bad luck, must be a once in a life time thing. Two years ago at the fair my daughter tells me there’s someone goat stuck on the feeder. I went over to look and same thing that bungie cord went right threw its cheek and I had to pull it out of her, which sounds easy but it was not! Those little devils do in fact like to mouth everything :/
I use hay strings on the gates that are just a section of beef panels cut and I use old collars for actual real gates lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts