ugh oh, we have a cold goin through the herd!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Dec 7, 2007.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok, well winter has defiently hit here, it went from being in the high 70's and warm and sunny, to down pour rain and nasty wind with the rain, so needless to say, my little goatee have colds. The ones who had coughs got nuflor, but the bottle had expired and I dont think it is working all that great. So we have snotty noses, clear to white, no green, and crusty eyes. We are finishing up their barns so we can fill them full of straw so they have a very warm place to stay, right now they just have makeshift kinda shelters, but they do the job. They are being fed alfalfa, beet pupl and a dairy goat grain....to everyone to keep them warm. Anything else I shoudl be doing?? ANd the ones with crusty eyes and snotty noses, if they dont look or act under the weather should I give them LA 200 anyways?Or should I let them try to get over it themselves and intervene when they act sick? I am calling the vet tomarrow to get a fresh bottle of Nuflor. thanks guys.

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I gave whey to my goats who had Pnuemonia, it cleared it up in one day - great stuff. And it is soooo easy to make. Just take a container of yoghurt, put the yoghurt into a dishtowel, and let the whey drain trough into a container, it may take a few hours.

3. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Oh my gosh are you serious???? ANd they drank it?? Any kind of yogurt or was it falvored, and did you give it to them warm or room temp or?? WOw thats pretty amazing, I am guessing it was all the good bacteria in it that helped them out alot......very interesting, guess I know what I will be doing tomarrow lol! anything else you can suggest?

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Yes, there is a thread on here about it. I had given them La200 for 5 days with ZERO improvment and I gave it to my buck (who was the worst, wheezing, snotty green nose, coughing, rattling) I really didn't know if he would make it. I gave him about 8cc's of Whey, and literally the next day NO snotty nose or anything! I kept giving it to him for a few days after that. Then I gave 5'ccs to everyone else, and the colds/pnuemonia went away. I brought a new doeling home about a week ago, she developed a green snotty nose, I gave her 6-8 cc's of Whey and It was gone the next day. I gave it to them in a syringe (minus needle) some actually suck on the syringe lol. But others cry..... It probably works best whith yoghurt with live cultures...

5. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    WOW! Thats amazing, cause I have several guys down there with crusty eyes and snotty noses. I am defiently gonna make a batch of that. SO just regular yogurt from the grocery store, pour it into a kitchen towel and catch the whey....wow, geniuss lol. THank for that!!!

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Not discounting the whey but I would give some of the yogurt to them straight and some nuri drench before I give antibiotics.

Some VetRX in the nose would help with symptoms.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Stacie, I agree with you. That is what i was going to say.
    OK, I understand the pneumonia, but WHY do people give anti for EVERYTHING? I guess my question is, do you get put on them for every single stuffy nose, cough and nasty eyes? Doing that all the time they will build up a resistance to it.
    Like i said if you hear pneumonia coming on, or something serious like that, but for a cough? SixShooter, just get them out of the wind and in a dry place and they will be fine.

8. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok, well I try my hardest NOT to give antibiotics as I think it is best for their immune systems to fight for themselves. I had a got with a wet cough and was afraid of pneuimonia thats why they got the shot. The next couple of days we are finishing up their barns and then they will be good to go, next couple of days are going to be warm and sunny. So I am going to head to the grocery store and get some yogurt, any flavor in paticular? lol, can they havee strawberry and other flavors ?? Ok well thanks for your help, anything else?

9. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Everyone had Pnuemonia, wheezing green snotty nose etc.... I really hate giving Antibiotics. I gave it to the kids. But not to the adults, I think they just had a cold.

It doesn't matter the flavor lol.

10. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Yeah well I am thinking that nuflor was no longer working as the doe I gave the shot to had actually gotten worse with a nasty wet cough, yesterday I gave her a shot of LA 200 and she is perfect today, cough all gone and no more snot. But I am still gonna do the whey thing. Now myself, I got a very very bad cold/fever thing, got a fever blister on my lip from such a high fever and since my immune system was sooo low I ended up gettin an infection running through my body and mainly into my lip, so my face was swollen......so if I sound a bit off, or dont make sence, I am sorry it is the medicine I am on to kill the infection....guess I need a shot of la 200 lol thanks again guys

11. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    If it's just colds, try Vet Rx a couple of times a day (via the nostrils) and Cough Free (in some yogurt in a syringe, if they won't eat it in grain).

I don't use antibiotics on anyone around here unless I absolutely have too...and these two things work really good on goats, horses, dogs, pretty much every thing! :wink: And...there's no expiration date, because they are both natural...Lol...well, there is, but they last longer than a year or two!