ugh.....thiamine and vit B complex question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Oct 27, 2007.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok, I have 2 does that r acting just a little funny, they are both nigerian dwarf goats, Is it ok if I go ahead and give them vit B complex shot and a shot of thiamine? 3 cc's of each or more?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup.

any excess they don't need they will pee out.

go right ahead and give it.

3. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    cool, thank you very much, ther are 2 girls, they are both going to get a shot of 3cc's vit B complex and 3 cc's of thiamine. thanks!

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    No no, on the thiamin dose it by weight. 4.5 mg per lb of body weight. Then fill the rest of the syringe with B.

5. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    mm how much is that in cc form, sorry kinda retarded in that department. the vet gave geisha 6ccs and she weighed bout 45 lbs.

6. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Mg is the same as cc. I always give 500mg of thiamin if I suspect something. Coni Ross, very respected goat lady, gives 500mg SQ and 500 IM daily if she is dealing with polio. And gives one dose of 10cc penicillin orally to topically kill bacteria in gut and 10cc SQ if polio and repeated doses if listeriosis (remember to give a form of live bacteria to keep rumen going). Once the gut is working again, she gives the thiamine orally. She also gives "Revive" orally 100cc with equal parts water.

Revive:
    1 bottle 50% dextrose
    20cc Vit. B complex
    5cc Vit. B12
    2cc 500 mg/ml Thiamin

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when the question was asked I did a internet search and from everything I read mg is not the same as cc. A ml = cc

mg is a weight while cc is a measurement, you can't expect them to match up equaly the same time.

8. getchagoat (Julie)

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Sorry sorry sorry. I was totally thinking ml. the mg per ml will depend on how much is in your form of the thiamin. Regular B complex is tiny compared to the fortified B complex. I think it's 12.5 vs 100 or something. (Meds are in the barn).

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Thats ok, I was trying to find out where I would find a 500cc syringe! lol

10. getchagoat (Julie)

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    A neighbor had a goat going down one night and she just had the 12.5. Luckily we had straight thiamin. the poor goat would've said to let her die then get that much put in her!

11. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    so for a 40-50 pound nigi how much thiamine. I gave them 3 cc's each

12. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    when my buck came down with it this year after i moved back to tn the vet had me give him 1cc every day for 5 days of thimine. he is a full size alpine about 150 lbs. my doe that had it woret then him she had me give her 1cc three times a day for 5 days. on a nigi that is acting off i would say that 2cc should be plenty along with the vit b fortified complex.

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Look on your thiamin bottle, and it should say how many mg there are of thiamin per cc/ml(cc and ml are the same measurement) so a 45 lbs nigerian would get 202.5 mg of thiamin. I have 200mg per ml thiamin so with my thiamin they would get only 1 cc.

14. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    This tells you how variable it is- my vet said 4.5 cc per 100lbs Thiamin. I gave it IM the first day and SQ subsequently. If nothing else, this shows that you would have to give a huge amount to over dose (if that;s possible.)

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    According to my vet book it says 4.5 mg of thiamin per lb of body weight, not cc, there's a difference there.

16. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Maybe but it doesn't change that my vet said cc not mg.

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    your vets knew the mg of thiamin the he was instructing you to use, so that does factor in.

sixshooter - check the mg and post it so that the correct dosage can be given to you.

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK Julie. I just met Coni at out State Fair. She was our Cashmere judge, and she is WONDERFUL. I was so very lucky to be her ring assistance and BOY did my head hurt when we were done. (from everything I learned)

19. getchagoat (Julie)

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    She's supposed to be coming out with a vaccine and runs about 1500 head of goats.

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what is the vaccine for?