The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I milked my new Nigerian Doe, and was reaching down to get the lid to the container that I milk into (not for drinking, it'll be for freezing) and when I turned around to put the lid on the container, she was drinking her own milk! Just slurping it down. Probably only got 1/4 cup, but when she's giving me only 1.5 cups a day (milking once a day, thin, and got her a week ago) it's kinda annoying, not to mention WEIRD! Should I be worried that she is drinking her own milk? Does she need a supplement? Also wondering if she'll start nursing herself..

·
Registered
600 Posts
Goat milk tastes good! I don't think it's weird, maybe a little uncommon, but I don't think it's a big issue. She might make the connection and start nursing herself. At that point you have to get a kind of 'cone of shame' (dog cone collar) so that she can't reach it. As long as she's getting all her loose minerals and all the nutrition she needs from her food, I wouldn't worry about her health :) Others may have something different to say though, I don't have any particular experience with this.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Ive actually used fed it to a few sick does over the years who just wouldnt eat any solids. And it one case, a doe was stopped up and nothing worked. Decided to try the goats milk and in a couple of days with some stimulation, she started pooping again.

·
962 Posts
I had a doe that drank her own milk. It eventually turned to self-nursing so I had to tape her teats before the showring. She even tried to nurse off other does. I eventually sold her because I didn't want to deal with it.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I have been giving my doe , Mocha , a little of her own milk for a while now and havent seen any ill effects from it.
She absolutely loves it ! If the dogs are out with me , they will get a few slurps too :) Then , the rest , if i'm lucky to get any away from the dogs , goes to puppies we have on the ground now.
They love goatie milk with their meal :)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
And I must add that I haven't seen any attempt to self milk herself my Mochalo :) Not saying it cant and won't happen , but I just haven't seen her do it nor have I seen a less then full milk bag on her when I put her on the milking stand . ( thank goodness )

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Some breeders give back some of the doe's own milk each milking. I gave my doe her own milk when I was treating for mastitis. The only thing I wouldn't do is to give a doe another doe's milk, as that is how CAE spreads.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's so weird... Never heard of this before! I'll make sure she doesn't get any more, I don't want any self nursers :laugh:

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Usually self-nursing rises up when you have a REALLY heavy milker, and they are full and tight, and want to relieve themselves. Then they get into the habit. :laugh:

·
2,203 Posts
Absolutely. Best thing to give a sick lactating doe in all honesty.

·
8,163 Posts
My doe, Lilly, that I almost lost to pneumonia* (I did lose her daughter in May) loves milk. That was all she would eat for weeks this
summer. If it weren't for the milk, she would be gone. Now, she is healthy, normal (for her!) and eats like a horse. She even came
back into milk. (I fed everyone's milk to her- pasteurized, for safety). Some goats really like milk!

*(The original veterinarian mis-diagnosed them- thought they were having milk fever- my heroic vet came on the scene too late for the daughter).

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry about the doeling, Goats Rock :( How sad :(
I wish I had known to give milk to sick does last winter, we had a doe that had a C-Section, huge infection, ruptured uterus, etc. and needless to say she was super duper sick and weak and almost didn't make it. Her kid was also deceased so I had to milk her. I will have to keep this in the back of my mind just in case..

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
The milk is perfectly fine in small amounts...I wouldnt let her lap up a bucket full and cause the runs..but its ok to have some..I feed milk back to my does who freshen with any abnormal milk issues...it clears them right up and colostrum is good to give when you have a constipated goat...of any age..its a natural laxitive : )

·
sister to goatszrule
1,904 Posts
Dont be worried goats sometimes get that habbit, it wont hurt her just make sure she does not teach the kids.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts