UhhhGgg...It's times like these that I wish I had my own

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by FunnyRiverFarm, Nov 23, 2010.

1. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    BUCK!

I like March kids so was wanting to have my does bred before November. Have been in contact with a local breeder since late August trying to make arrangements to lease a buck. I was would have been willing to do "driveway" breedings but the breeder actually suggested the lease as a more convenient option. Didn't hear from the breeder for a couple weeks in October, sent more e-mails, got a response to arrange a time for pickup...took almost 2 weeks for them to "find the time" for ME to drive over there, load up the buck, and sign the lease agreement (a 10 minute opperation).

So, I came to get him. They went out to the pen and caught him (he was WILD) and put him in the back of our truck. They told me he had been wormy but they gave him a dose of cydectin and I should worm again in 10 days and give him redcell or nutridrench--okay no problem. I didn't really take a good look at him which was dumb on my part.

When I got him home and unloaded I checked his eyelids was horrified to see that they were WHITE. Like a sheet of paper...no color whatsoever. So of course, I dosed him right away with Nutridrench (didn't have red cell at the moment) and fortified b-complex injections. I continued giving him the supplements--including the vit-b injections--everyday for the next 4 days and saw no improvement at all. Then he developed a wet sounding cough and a temp so I gave him LA-200 and contacted the breeder about bringing him home because he was not going to be healthy enough to breed anytime soon. They said, yeah, sure, We could make an "appointment" to bring him back and exchange him for one that was in better condition. Good.

Well, after that I didn't hear from them for almost 2 weeks...mean while I am doing everything I can to keep their goat alive so he wouldn't DIE on my property and I would have to pay for him. He did put on some weight (was quite thin under all that hair) and was starting to get some color back but was still extremely anemic and weak. And this was after me worming him 2 more times with a high dose, daily vit-b injections, nutridrench, etc. He was in his own pen the whole time with his own hay rack so there was no competition from the other goats...

Anyway, I finally got him back home after three weeks of free rehab service for the breeder. Was able to pick up another buck with similar genetics that is in MUCH better shape. But now it is the end of November and NONE of my does are bred yet...FRUSTRATING.

Thanks for listening--I just had to get that out! :GAAH:

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    How frustratring! Its one thing to worry & take care of your own but to have to bring someone else who should have been in reasonable shape is quite another.

3. WOW??? Sorry, you should have charged them for the meds! And the work you did.

4. minibarn

minibarn Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    that's horrible for you! having to look after someone else's sick goat instead of getting your does bred! best wishes on getting them all bred quickly now!

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow! I really hope they offerred the second buck at no charge. It amazes me that there are breeders out there that don't even know the residents of their herds, I personally would have NEVER put anyone in the position you were in.

6. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    Wow that is stressful. Sorry you had to go through that. I was having a simular problem here with my girls. I found a breeder with some excellent quality bred bucks, but could never get a hold of them, they would email me weeks after I had sent an email and I could never get an answer when I called and when I left messages they never returned my call, then they FINALY emailed with a day I could come out and pick the buck I wanted to breed my girls to. I loved the buck I chose, but every goat at their place was sick :(, coughing, eyes crusted shut, snotty noses, and one kid had a hernia the size of a bowl (not kidding) It was litterally like a bowl was upside down on his belly under the skin. Anyhow since that was my only option for a buck if I wanted a pure bred I had to go with it, so I decided I would, but as the time got closer I just felt really uneasy about taking my girls to that place. What if they came back sick. So I opted to buy a buck. What was I thinking, I should have bought one from the beginning. I LOVE him, he is perfect and soooo sweet. And now I already have one of my girls bred. anyhow I was worried about buying one, I thought they might be a pain and I would regret it, but I really love this little guy, he is so gentle and sweet.

I am now all for owning your own buck if you have does to breed. It is just to hard to go with someone elses bucks. I hope you get your girls bred now.

7. Special ed

Special ed New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Wow what an ordeal! Kudos on taking care of thier buck though hopefully when they get him back they don't just turn him loose without additional treatment and follow up.

8. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Thanks guys...it's been pretty ridiculous. I was really in shock when I discovered how bad off the first buck was...litterally on the brink of death. And yeah, I couldn't believe they even allowed me to take him in that condition. If I had a goat that I allowed to get so sick I would be embarrassed to have anyone else even look at it, let alone take it home with them... :( Oh well. The crazy thing is that they are very nice people and seem to know a lot about goats...have really nice genetics that they're working with...but dang...

When I pay for the stud service (when I take the buck home) I think I will probably ask for a discount to make up for all the meds and feed I used on the other guy that wasn't even capable of breeding...

I am seriously considering buying a buck this spring if I can get hubby to go along with it. I can't deal with this kind of crap every breeding season!

9. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    You'll save money I think. :) Anyway... I am with you. I purchased a few goats in a package, one of them ended up with worms, I wanted to sell her, but yeah, found out she had worms :( Working on clearing that up... her eyelids are still white, but she's doing much better... anyone know when eyelids change back?? It's been about 2 weeks since she's been better...already lost one(from the same package), didn't think to check his eyes... he probably had worms also.

After this worm issue, I will never bring in a goat with worms, all new goats will have their eyes checked. Too risky >.>

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh wow.... that is horrible ....a good breeder... wouldn't of allowed a ill buck ...out to anyone... knowing they where real wormy or under breeding condition... if it where me ...I would of stayed clear away from that breeder....
    I hate to say this but....
    It almost sounds to me like... they knew he was very down.... thought he would of died at your place...that you would be responsible for the buck in your possession through contract right? and probably have to replace the buck or pay them for the loss........seeings how long they waited.... :doh:
    If it where me... and I leased out my own buck.... I would do everything in my power to give my client... a healthy buck... in the beginning and if by chance... he got sick.... to come get him ....from the client.... if they didn't want to treat and deal with him..... I would then replace the buck.. right away or make it right...no matter how I had to do it......... not hehaw around...for many weeks.... Also... I would demand.... they pay you back.... for all the meds and time... you put into him to keep him alive.... sounds like.... by the time you finally returned him..... he should of ...by rights... been dead..... you are a miracle worker ...girl....great job...... :thumb:

I feel real bad that a breeder would pull that and expect to keep a good rep.... :roll:

11. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Does he live in Missouri? LOL sounds like what the folks here would do..

12. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Believe me, that thought crossed my mind...I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt, though. I am probably too trusting!

I wish all breeders were as responsible as you, Pam! :)

Not in Missouri...but I do live in kind of a podunk, redneck area where things like this are probably common.

Just keep giving that goat of yours TLC...it can take A LONG time for them to pull out of very bad anemia. The buck I was taking care of was just starting to get a TINY bit of color back after 3 weeks of very intensive treatment.

13. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    FunnyRiver you will never regret having your own buck!
    Up until last yr we leased. A nice big boy named Auto Repeater was here on lease & a few weeks later he all of a sudden bloated up. Dont know if he got into the doe's feed pan for extra or got into the dog dishes.
    Anyway we worked & worked him, called the breeder & the whole family got here at 2am to pick him up, they were 3hrs away.
    This summer she offered to sell him so you betcha we went & got him.
    Due to early pick up 2 does didnt get bred so I used a young un we had here; one doe was his grandam & the other a great auntie.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Aww...thank you... I appreciate that....very much... :hug: :thumb:

15. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I don't really want to own a buck but these are some of the reasons that I will buy my own buck. Plus I am so isolated from others that taking my does to the buck would be a hassel. And as for leasing?????? Well, you never really know what you are getting.

16. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Guess I've been blessed..never any bad experiences. The first few were with my mentor, then a couple offers from other breeders I've had the pleasure of getting to know.

17. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Because of these type of breeders and chance a buck wont get the deed done I am looking into a semen tank to hold straws. Its semi more expensive, but in the long run I get herd improvement and cheap breeding's.

18. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I agree with getting your own buck. We were in a similar position this fall. The buck we were going to borrow didn't mature well enough to do his job and although they offered us the use of an older buck, they were also having a lot of worm problems. We were lucky enough to be able to find a nice pure bred,healthy young buck that was more than able to do his job. I am so happy we were able to get a buck of our own. It is so much nicer to be able to breed on our schedule and not have to work it around someone elses breedings and worm/illness problems and to have him long enough that if for some reason they don't settle the first time he is still around when they go into heat again. Luckily none of our girls have come back into heat but if they did, my buck would let me know about it and would be here to take care of it.

19. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I tried finding bucks for my girls, and could not find anything that was well cared for or suited my does. I suppose I am a bit like an over-protective mother. But I found a couple of bucks for sale, so I bought them. Even though I haven't had the privilage of using them yet, I am very happy with my choice. Yes, they are a bit smelly, but I have gotten used to it and even like it a little *hides*, and it seems only very strong first thing in the morning.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    congrats... on the new bucks.....love to see pics soon.... :thumb: :wink: