1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FD476A2E-1D05-4C27-89E9-47CBF66F0440.jpeg
72C8CA5C-D1BD-4EC5-ABB0-03675731199C.jpeg
7900EC3B-61A3-4E4F-8D60-A3C6C1E2D1B0.jpeg
Bess was not supposed to be bred. And when i asked the prev owner a few months ago because i thought her udder was not quite so flat he said no way no how no bulls there. And he said def breeding through a fence can never happen too cause i asked if neighbor had a bull. I was crazy for askin this last to him but we know better. Guess they missed a bean in a banding?!?!?!!!

.... anyhoo. Today we had just gotten home from pickin up G for our first sleepover and we hear a cow bellerin in the woods. So paul and g go to check it out. Next thing i hear is.... a calf Bess has a calf... and up comes paul to handover g so he can go get a better look. Brand new still wet calf on the ground and Bess bein a great maman cleaning him.

I was wicked mad because there are things that would have been instead of this mess. We moved them to a smaller area to bond but now she is not wantin to let him nurse. We did see him nurse a few good times before we moved them so he did get some colostrum in his tum this evening. We will just keep watching them tomorrow and somehow pen her still if we need to. The guys were going to start our coral next week! Had we known THIS was happening we would have made sure to have it done. i had quit lookin at all at her udder because no way she could be bred right? Grrrrrrr. And we just thought her gettin chunky was a happy rumen.

I gave him BoSe and vit b complex and vit e capsule bust open. He has teeth so not a preemie. And he weighs about 35 pounds which is a good weigh for a dexter calf.

·
Registered
31,056 Posts
What a cute little monkey wrench in your plans!! Glad mama did well. Hopefully she will reconnect with him by morning.
Congratulations

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the bright side- at least she cleaned him off! Congratulations on the calf!
She cleaned hm AND let him nurse several times before we moved them. :/. And she is calling to him as well and stayin very close to him. So hopefully she will get over the moving jitterss soon.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What a cute little monkey wrench in your plans!! Glad mama did well. Hopefully she will reconnect with him by morning.
Congratulations
Hahah so true a monkey wrench! We JUST bought and had shipped ten straws for AI for her. We were just waitin for the weather to cool off some to have it done.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awwww! What a cute little surprise! Congratulations. Bess is probably tender she's got good mothering instincts so I'll bet she comes around. How was your sleep over with little G? Did you get any sleep? lol ;)
we did get sleeps! Well paul did. I was pretty hurty and could not get comfortable anywhere. I finlly knocked out about six to nine this mornin.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awww Hes a cutie! Love it when those tails go up! The moves are on!! Lol. Thanks for shareing! He is awesome!
He was just FULL of himself tonight! After we did up the hill chores... where he and his mama are. He started the zoomies again. Up and down the fence line. Then all done and crash. Lol.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts