Ultrasound

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Haviris, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Has anyone ever had a goat ultrasounded? How accurate is it? And what is the time frame it would need to be done to be accurate?

Ok, here's the deal, I have a doe that I put with the buck for a month which would have put her due in Oct., but from the looks of her I'd say she didn't take. She was in with the buck again in August (not to be bred, I just had no choice), and since then she has been in with the buck several times because she keeps escaping into his pen (not sure yet how she's doing it). Anyway, with as much expossure as she's had I would think she's surely bred, but so far I'm just not seeing it. Until now I've only had one doe I just wasn't sure about until a month before she kidded, I can usually tell after two months and definately after 3. Over the last few weeks I've been seeing some white discharge, I figured it either means she's bred or in heat, so I put her with the buck and he didn't show any interest. She has enough of a gut that it's possible, but other then that and the discharge no other signs that she may be bred.

So I have been thinking about getting her Ultrasounded, so I'll finally know and be able to stop obsessing. So what do you all think?

2. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i had mine done last year. the said the best time is around 42 to 45 days of being bred. his accuracy rate was about 100% on mine but another woman hed hers done by the same guy & he didn't get any of hers right. so not sure what to tell you.

3. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    The guy who scans our sheep and goats says 70 - 90 days in is the best. Last year I had 36 sheep and 2 goats scanned and he was right on every one of them. Year before I had 30 sheep scanned and he was right on all but two (he scanned them empty and they both had single lambs). If they are too far along he can tell that they are pregnant but not how many they are having.

I LOVE getting my animals scanned - I find it gives me far more peace of mind when it comes to their giving birth, and also it helps me separate them into pens of "twins" "singles" etc. so I can feed them the right amount, etc. etc. It's also fun to find out what you're gonna get :p

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I had two of my goats done about 8-9 days ago. My vet had never ultrasounded a goat before, but she is a pro at llamas.

Anyway we did abdominal and also internally. We were able to tell that one was empty and one was bred with 2 at least. The one who was prego was bred 35 days earlier.

Good Luck! And happy breeding.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    It is said that the ultra sounds are accurate at telling if the goat is bred, but is no accurate at determining false pregnancies.
    Actually there is a blood test out that is over 95% accurate at telling if they are pregnant and it is even accurate at determining false pregnancies. The website is http://www.biotracking.com

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Since ultrasound depends on the knowledge of the person dong it, I would think that it is as accurate as the vet is. I have had ultrasounds done on horse injuries and it seems that one vet in the local practice is very good at it while the other isn't.

7. myfavgoats

myfavgoats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I would use the blood work since it is cheaper than ultrasound. That is my opinon.

8. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Thanks everyone for the help! I guess I will ask my vet about it and see how accurate he has been, I know he does it because I asked about it once before, and if I remember right he said it'd be around $40, but there were a few questions I asked and he didn't really give me a straight answer (such as best time to have it done). I'll also ask him about the blood test, if it's cheaper it sounds better anyway!

9. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    the scanning that I have done isn't done by a vet. It's simply done by some guy who has bought the equipment and learnt how to use it. He takes his car and trailer (which contains the equipment) around all the farms in the fall, and scans everyone's animals. He usually charges about €1 per head. I've looked at the screen and you can see all the individual babies on it, so I'm sure if one had a false pregnancy he could tell - seeing that he just counts the number of babies that he can see.

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I refferred a breeder I know to the place that does blood tests, she had a couple that would show up pregnant on the ultrasound but they in fact weren't, she said she did the blood tests last year and she liked that the results were much more accurate than the ultrasound.