The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,439 Posts
The guy who scans our sheep and goats says 70 - 90 days in is the best. Last year I had 36 sheep and 2 goats scanned and he was right on every one of them. Year before I had 30 sheep scanned and he was right on all but two (he scanned them empty and they both had single lambs). If they are too far along he can tell that they are pregnant but not how many they are having.

I LOVE getting my animals scanned - I find it gives me far more peace of mind when it comes to their giving birth, and also it helps me separate them into pens of "twins" "singles" etc. so I can feed them the right amount, etc. etc. It's also fun to find out what you're gonna get :p

· Registered
1,439 Posts
the scanning that I have done isn't done by a vet. It's simply done by some guy who has bought the equipment and learnt how to use it. He takes his car and trailer (which contains the equipment) around all the farms in the fall, and scans everyone's animals. He usually charges about €1 per head. I've looked at the screen and you can see all the individual babies on it, so I'm sure if one had a false pregnancy he could tell - seeing that he just counts the number of babies that he can see.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.