Ultrasound....

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Jan 7, 2011.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I want to get my girls ultrasounded, but my vet charges $35 a goat and I really want afford to get 6 girls done.

Is there any like home ultrasounding test that can be done? Ive seen some breeders with these, but are they sucessful?

2. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    GOOD ultrasound machines are VERY expensive.

Which stinks, cause I'd love one.

3. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Try to bargin with you vet for a multiple goat discount- such as all six for 100$ or two for $45 ect... Some vets relent if you convince hard enough. Also sometimes you can tack on to a 4-h group's ultrasound visit. Our vet charges 10$ then for 4-h kids. Might be worth asking around.

4. TinyHoovesRanch

Well I did this last year, I was in 4H and took 4 girls, NO discount...We even begged and they said sorry no discount.

We ended up getting $10 off, but too me thats not enough.. I emailed another vet today, I REALLY need a new vet, this one wont give me anything!

My friend has a machine, she said it was $400

5. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    Your friend must have a Preg Tone, not an ultrasound machine. An ultrasound machine costs upwards of $2,000 with the most popular around $2500. The Preg Tones are not very accurate and have a high rate of false positives, due to using sound waves to "bounce" off of the amniotic fluid in the uterus, thus if the bladder is full or the goat just ate you can get a false positive as it is picking up other fluids.

Karla

6. TinyHoovesRanch

Ya thats what she has!

Sorry I didnt know what to call it! That sucks! I just wish they werent so expensive...I know I could blood test but its also expensive and wont tell me how many....

7. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Hi!
    Arent you just a short drive outta Sacramento? Like UC Davis kinda Sacramento?!?!? :cool: call them up! Animal colleges LOVE to do stuff like this! That's why I get such a great price on my goats ultrasounds!! Its kinda a pain to haul everyone over, but we take about 4-6 at a time, made two trips this year...(so far, knock on wood everyone is settled).
    I would just LOVE LOVE LOVE to live near UC Davis! I worked with them a BUNCH when doing all my Paint horse genetics and DNA testing! They were great back then!
    Try 'em! :)

8. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    That's ok, I wasn't sure until you said it was $400, then I knew it wasn't a regular ultrasound.

I too wish i had one, a friend that lives close does have one but I'd like to have my own.

Biotracking (?) is only around $7 per test for CAE and I think $4 for preg testng, i could be wrong on the prices but Ii believe that's what it costs. It's not cost effective for me either, since I have over 30 does, not all bred at the same time but still 12-15 would still be expensive.

The ultrasound doesnt always tell you how many either, especially if your new at reading the machine.

9. TinyHoovesRanch

Traci,
    I live like 20 minutes from UC Davis lol. I should call and ask about ultrasounding, cause if its cheap then im going there from now on!

I wish I could find some sort of teaching hospital besides Davis. My friend did and she got everything done for free!!

When we went last year, The vet said he couldnt see how many because the fetuses were already too big. But he gave a good estimate. He said one wasnt pregnant, she had twins hahaha so I know they arent %100.