Ultrasounds( in labor today)

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by daisysmaid, Oct 13, 2020.

1. daisysmaid

daisysmaid Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2018
    northglenn, CO
    How accurate are late term abdominal ultrasounds?? Opal is the doe in question. Last time I saw her in heat the buck bred her she would be due oct 25th. I had an abdominal ultrasound done about two weeks ago by my small animal vet who said she wasn’t pregnant. According to my records she has not gone back into heat since the time I saw her bred.... IMG_0709.jpg IMG_0703.jpg IMG_0704.jpg

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Normally should be accurate.
    The kid or kids should be very visible, because of size by this late term.

Her udder isn't filling and her pooch isn't poofy or stretched for her being late term.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The vet really should have seen something. A leg, a head or a body. From what I can see, her pooch doesn't look pregnant. Always possible she has a false pregnancy.

4. daisysmaid

Jun 21, 2018
    northglenn, CO
    Ok, thank you both very much

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I don’t know I have heard of many people who had a ultrasound done on late term by a vet and they couldn’t find anything but they really were bred. I did a few later term does last year and I thought they were open until I went way in front of their udder. Even then it was looking for body parts, not full kids.
    I would get a closer picture of her back side and see if someone can do the pooch test for you.

7. ALBoerGoats

ALBoerGoats Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2015
    Depends on how late term. I'm able to see babies pretty well on mine until about 120 days. After that all you can really see are the cotyledons from the placenta. And maybe a heartbeat if you're lucky lol. But the cotyledons would confirm pregnancy since those are only present if there is a placenta. It will look like a bunch of round structures on ultrasound.

8. ALBoerGoats

Dec 26, 2015
    I ultrasounded Magic last week and she is due on the 24th. All I could see were the cotyledons at that point.

9. ksalvagno

I forget most vets do ultrasound transabdominal. My vet does ultrasound rectally and you can see a lot more.

10. ALBoerGoats

Dec 26, 2015
    Interesting! Never heard of doing ultrasounds rectally on a goat. I've had it done on my mares but obviously a horse is much bigger than a goat.

11. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I find ultrasounds accurate.

I do have some beef with them, I’ve seen fertility issues and miscarriages start post-frequent ultrasound use.

daisysmaid, Goats Rock and Iluvlilly! like this.
  12. ALBoerGoats

Dec 26, 2015
    Most likely unrelated. Ultrasounds are safe in pregnancy. Heck, I had 5 done before week 8 of my pregnancy this time around and both baby and I are just fine.

The miscarriages after ultrasounds were probably already in the process of happening. I had a doe have some bloody discharge so we ultrasounded and babies looked great but she was already in the process of aborting so she came up opening next ultrasound. Does miscarriage more than we realize because early on there usually isn't much evidence of loss.

13. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Ok since you’ve seen it done! Did they put a extender on the probe?
    A friend of mine asked me to try rectally since I have the probe for cattle. I tried it, the goat wasn’t thrilled (no idea why lol) and then I started thinking how is it even going to get deep enough to see anything or move it around since it’s not like a cow where I put my hand in there too. So I decided not to play around on a AIed doe and never tried it again lol

14. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I agree. So far no one has lost kids and they have all settled this year and a few I have ultrasounded again and still hanging onto those babies

15. ksalvagno

My vet has a specific rectal probe. Much narrower.

16. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    That far along, could you put her on the milk stand and feel the babies kick? Sorry if that is obvious but just thinking...

17. daisysmaid

Jun 21, 2018
    northglenn, CO
    I’m still holding out on this girl. She looks exactly like she did last pregnancy!!! She still hasn’t gone back into heat and now she has started baby talking. You know that soft bleating they do at the end of their pregnancy?!?!? I’m watching for any other signs seeing how she is less then a week out from her only due date if she is pregnant.

18. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    It SHOULD be accurate. However I had a doe that was ultrasounded two weeks before her due date because we just couldn’t decide if she was pregnant or not. The vet said she was not pregnant. The doe had a kid 10 days later.
    IMO, your doe looks pregnant.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  20. daisysmaid

Jun 21, 2018
    northglenn, CO
    Wow, did they do an abdominal ultrasound?