Ultrasounds

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by daisysmaid, Oct 13, 2020.

1. daisysmaid

daisysmaid Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2018
    This girl acts more and more pregnant each day except for the obvious pooch and udder!!!

Jubillee and MadHouse like this.
  2. daisysmaid

Jun 21, 2018

3. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    I say go with your gut. It’s better to be prepared for nothing then kick yourself later for not being prepared.
    PS I think she is bred too and I hope to see babies soon!!!

4. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. I've always herd later in pregnancy it's harder to see kids due to the size.

She looks pregnant to me, her right side is fairly large (I know not always reliable) and her belly droops below her. Did she have a bit of udder already before?

I did have a doe early this year, had twins, I knew she was PG due to blood test, and her udder did not start until about 2 weeks before and really didn't even fill much until the day or two before. Her pooch wasn't really swollen until a couple days before either. She was a FF but my other FF start their udders much sooner. I have one out there now 6 weeks left and she has a tiny pooch starting.

MadHouse and daisysmaid like this.
  7. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    I've found late term ultrasounds to be accurate in determining if a doe is preganant, but it is harder to tell how many kids.

8. daisysmaid

Jun 21, 2018
    Well, I got a good Pooch pic yesterday. Any chance you all could give me your opinions:) I will know here very soon but just curious. I’ve never done the Pooch test very well IMG_0839.jpg

MadHouse likes this.
  9. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Sorry to say but to me she doesn't look pregnant. But depending on the doe they can hide it. 2 and 3 days before is when one of my does started actually looking 'poochy'. She could hide it really well, except for her stomach. I would try and feel for babies. And be prepared for babies just in case. If you can feel her ligaments you can keep an eye on those.

10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Try feeling right in front of the udder, push up gently. You might feel a leg or something.

11. daisysmaid

Jun 21, 2018
    I think I agree she’s not pregnant

MadHouse likes this.
  12. daisysmaid

Jun 21, 2018
    Now just have to figure out why she’s not going into heat

MadHouse likes this.
  13. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    She looks pregnant, IMO. I would be prepared for kids soon, if she’s due in a couple days.

14. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

The best thing might be to do blood tests? Wouldnt that solve the conundrum?

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Having a preg test done, will answer that question for you.

16. So every goat is different. I've had people tell me some does weren't due anytime soon due to their udder size. (But I had breeding dates and blood tests etc) and their udder filled up the day before kidding. And it was small.

Her pooch doesn't look bred BUT I've also had some that were ehhhhh in that area too. I've got 3 with 40 days left right now. One has a super poofy pooch that has changed significantly. One, eh, and the other, hers has not changed at all. I know she's PG because I had her blood tested and she's huge now and I felt kids barely. I have no doubts.

My reason for thinking she is pg is that udder. If she's always had it, then I'd say likely she's not bred. But if she never had that bit of udder, then I'd say she's bred and watch for that udder to fill. There is a general consensus as to how they act when bred, how their body parts look, etc...but I've found a LOT of goats don't follow the guidelines LOL

Get a blood test or wait it out. If due date is 2 days, and there are no kids within a week from there...she's not bred. If she isn't in fact bred, she looks like she may be kind of overweight which can contribute to cycle issues.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  18. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Yep I agree. Blood test or I would be just keeping a close eye on her until she no longer could possibly kid.
    Last year I had a doe I was unsure about. I did the pooch test and got 50/50 results on her lol I was going to pull blood but was already debating on buying a ultrasound machine so figured that was my excuse. So after I got it I was able to confirm she was in fact bred and I think it was 2-3 week later that she kidded. I had to go way up her stomach to find any kids though. It was almost to her navel when I found them and everyone always says to ultrasound way back by the udder.
    I had another doe, a FF that showed NO signs of being bred. She had no udder what so ever, no swelling in her vulva area. I put her in the pen to take her to the sale. That night she was screaming so ran out and her water broke and she had a single buck kid. There has been a few more after that that I was highly doubting they were bred but after that doe I learned not to throw the towel in until there was no possible way they could be bred and they also kidded.

toth boer goats and daisysmaid like this.
  19. daisysmaid

Jun 21, 2018
    Thank you everyone for your reply’s and advice. I think I’m going to wait it out a few more days fingers crossed she is and not just overweight lol

20. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California