um..help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Droopymole, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    One of my does Uno, had her only scur knocked off, and it looks pretty nasty...what do I do?

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    i would caturize (sp) it with a disbuder, if you don't have one I would put blood stop powder on it, I've heard cuyan pepper will stop the blood but have never used it personally.

3. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    Hmm...i'll try the pepper...

4. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I think flour works too

5. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    Well I didn't try the pepper...instead I put vinegar water on it. She didn't like that...lol

She is grinding her teeth a lot...and she seems kinda..spaced out...

6. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California

If she hit her head hard enough to knock the scur off. She probably has a head ache. You can give her some aspirin to help with the pain. Blue-kote or some other type of disinfected spray will help keep flies away and heal faster. Hope she is feeling better soon. Shelly

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    we also use baking soda to stop blood. When I worked in the veterinary clinics, that is what we would tell clients that would call that had a toe nail bleeding to use.

Also, if you are close to a vet clinic, ask them for Silver Nitrate sticks, it will cauterize the wound...:)

8. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I had something similar happen to one of ours. The vet said to give her a gram of butte (I have horses) and he gave us some yellow antibiotic spray for it. The butte really helped. We gave it to her once a day for three days. Poor girl!

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Do you mean Bute? I heard that that's something that you have to be careful with dosing on goats, but I"m not sure.

10. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    use black pepper...that is what I use when I tip horns for the show.

11. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I truly do not understand the pepper suggestions, either cayanne or black. How would that feel? Sorry, I just don't understand, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelers, but can someone explain why pepper?

And vet said to use a horse dose on the goat since it has to go throygh the rumen. (horse 1 gram, goat one gram, goat weighed about 120 lbs.)

12. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    pepper coagulates blood. I tried the flour thing and it didn't work. Pepper of either kind works good. I haven't had any problems with the goats showing signs of pain.

13. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    thanks, i had no idea. how wierd. ~