The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is one of my more bazar questions... I just went out to check on our 9 new babies and I noticed one of the super possessive moms coughing. She then arched her back and walked away. I walked past her and noticed the thing in the picture sitting on the ground. She has something pink and fleshy colored hanging out of her (or its stuck to her hair, she wont let me near her). My first thought was it looked like an unborn twin. Is that what I'm looking at? Should I call the vet? I'm relatively squeamish so I wasn't about to touch it. Help?

Attachments

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Eeeew. That looks like a body with no limbs. I....would call a vet! But someone here wit more experience may have better/cheaper advice.

Either way, I think you need to catch Mama NOW and keep her where you can check her easily.

·
14,615 Posts
It does look like a kid with no libs, how strange.
I would give her a week of penicillin or Biomycin, make sure she's not running a temp. If you can possibly get a sniff of her rear you would know if there is bad infection.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's some color variation to it, so I thought it was a kid wrapped up in some kind of sack or something. I never thought about the no limb thing. Its about the size of my hand (20 year old girl). I might call the vet's office and see what they think. She's been extremely irritable lately, and super defensive of the one kid that she did have. Thats another weird thing, she had a kid a week ago, and this thing just showed up today.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. It was from her. I took it in to our vet, they promptly sliced it open and discovered that it was a "mummified fetus". Basically mom wasn't getting enough nutrition and one baby cut itself off so the other baby could get all of the nutrients. They said that as long as she's eating and drinking normally she should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
59,263 Posts
I would be picking that up and feeling it. See if it is something or just a big glob of goo. You can't go on just looks.

·
Registered
31,045 Posts
Glad mom is doing well, I would still put her on Penicillin to be safe...its good she got it out...strange finding but interesting...I would have been slicing it open too lol most likely with all my kids hanging on my shoulder to get a look...( we home school, so everything is a lesson lol)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From an educational standpoint, it was quite interesting. It was quite developed and looked more like a dinosaur or bird than goat. Not something I want to deal with again, but i can now add this to my "Weird Things I Never Thought I'd Be Doing" list.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Mummified kids can be from Toxoplasmosis. Which is carried by cats. Look it up. If it's a possibility, she will need treated to prevent it from happening again. Also, other does could get it from the cats.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ooh! How tragic, interesting and kind of heart warming, that little baby sacrificed its self for its' sibling (That is, if you believe in spirits and such). Nature you are cruel but clever...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Our ranch hand has issues understanding the concept of putting out minerals, so I'm thinking that was probably it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts