The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
My Nubian Doe kidded on Saturday, April 24th with beautiful triplets! (2 doelings and a buckling)
I was present at the birth and when the buckling came out his cord ripped very close to his body. But he was the largest kid (almost 8 lbs) and has been very active/healthy. As soon as all the kids were born before they touched the ground I dipped each cord in Iodine. Well I noticed this protruding out of his abdomen a couple days ago and finally got these pics last night. I have since dipped his cord in iodine again and will continue to do so daily unless you all have any other suggestions? Will be be ok? Will this shrink back into his body? Do I need to do anything else? Thank you all for your responses! :)
Skin Finger Gesture Ear Fawn
Nose Head Glasses Eyebrow Eyelash
Nose Head Glasses Eyebrow Eyelash
Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Fur clothing Eyelash Whiskers
Working animal Goat Dog breed Fawn Dog
Vertebrate Jaw Mammal Fawn Terrestrial animal
Vertebrate Goat Fawn Terrestrial animal Goat-antelope

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
Looks like might be a hernia. Might have a vet peek at it to assess.

·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like might be a hernia. Might have a vet peek at it to assess.
Thank you! I just emailed the pics to my Vet so hopefully he will let me know today sometime if my little guy needs to be seen or if there is something I can do.

·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, this is my Vet's response. (we have an appointment to get the kids disbudded on the 11th)
Hello Jackie,
Dr. Randall suggests that if the buckling is off in any way (not eating, lethargic, has a temperature, etc.), or if the cord area seems infected (red, swollen, hot, pus drainage, getting larger, etc.) then we should see him sooner than later, before your appointment on the 11th. If he is doing okay then we can wait and check him out on the 11th. In the meantime just make sure the area is staying clean.

Thank you for your responses and help. :)
Jackie

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
My concern is infection. The navel doesn't always look infected for them to get navel ill. If you choose to wait. Keep close eye on his temp, and any swelling on leg joints and of course the navel. It maybe just a hernia from his navel getting torn off so close to his body..
Best wishes

·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My concern is infection. The navel doesn't always look infected for them to get navel ill. If you choose to wait. Keep close eye on his temp, and any swelling on leg joints and of course the navel. It maybe just a hernia from his navel getting torn off so close to his body..
Best wishes
Thank you Cathy! I've had experience with Navel Ill and that was my first thought to. I'm keeping a close eye on him. I do put iodine on it every evening while checking it. So far so good! Sure hope it works, not quite sure what to expect but keeping my fingers crossed!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts