The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
14,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, just very curious if anyone has had any luck fixing a small umbilical hernia with a belly band? We have a 3 week old kid that was a runt and very weak who has blossomed into a sweet, active, super happy little gal but... she has a hernia :( I worried about it when she was born, but it definitely has a little hole. My husband was thinking we could wrap her like a horse.

I do plan on contacting a vet, so either way we'll get it addressed.

·
14,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I appreciate it and sorry for the delay in replying. It's been a super busy past few days (few weeks really!). I am going to contact a couple of vets that have had experience fixing hernia's and see what they say and hoping they aren't too far away. Until we can get her in I may see if my husband can wrap her belly. He has experience doing it with foals with successful results at work. I'm hoping I can possibly get her in next week.

Do you guys know what I may expect? I am so scared of them having to sedate her, but also wondering what I might expect as far as after repair care - staying in the barn, not being active, etc?

·
8,492 Posts
I had one repaired. After the vet poked and determined it was just a minor hole (opening in the muscle), they had me drop her off at the clinic. I think they cut around the opening to make
an open wound area, so the skin would heal back up. It didn't seem to phase her. I put her and her mom in a small pen for a week. She kidded last year, no problems. But, the vet did caution me
that large hernias or side ones would not have as good an outcome.

Now, with my larger herd, unfortunately, I don't have extra money to spend, so those poor kids will have to go to the meat pen. (crossing fingers I don't have to deal with any!)

·
14,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wanted to update that it appears she had an abscess not a hernia! Fingers crossed because I check it at least every other day, and the other day I went to check it and it was gone! I was like....what? We'll keep an eye on it and I'll check it this afternoon, but if it really is gone and cleared up then I will cancel the vet visit.

4/04

4/12

There is some crust around her umbilical area so that is why it still looks like there is a little bump there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts