umn...need a little help here

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by sixshooterfarm, Feb 5, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok so my miniature pinscher finally whelped, three little babies, birth was absolutly normal like last time, all puppies healthy and happy. Well today the mom started pooping blood, and I mean BLOOD, it was bright dark red blood. There was poop in her kennel and it was very mucousy, I am thinking worms.... What can I give her that will be safe for puppies since they will get it through the milk. Will Valbazen work?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would take her to the vet - or at least a fecal to the vet. She could have ruptured something in her bowel during birth.

Typically a worm overload will not produce blood like that.

What is her temp? Is she eating and drinking? What is her CRT???

I was a small animal vet tech prior to working here. So these are all the start of the questions - LOL

When did she whelp?

3. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Hi, Ok well lets see, she whelped on the 3rd, I will go take her temp. She is eating great, drinking great, acting just absolutly normal as can be, I dident even have a fear of anything being wrong, she had a wonderful labor, all the puppies were ut within 15 20 minutes of each other, she barely pushed, I mean her labors are so easy!! I let her out to go potty and realized she has the runs, I know that is comlelty normal for just whelping. Well her poop was mucousy yesterday and then today it was blood. I know she dident ruptre anything because she would be sick, real sick. with the mucous and then the blood that is all worms to me, I got off the phone with my vet and they said it was worms. I am not 100% positive on what wormer to give her, and my vet is all against giving horse and cattle wormer to dogs, so I dident ask. I do have a puppy wormer in the cupbord, should I just give her that?? Only thing else is womers at the feed store ( horse mainly) and I have Valbazen and Ivermectin pour on ( wont give her that lol) what should I give her? thanks, Rachel

4. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Does her bloody poop smell really bad? It could be colitis. It could have been brought on by stress of labor or hormones. We had a dog with it and it was horrible and would come on with no notice and look like he was pooping straight blood sometimes.

5. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    Blood doesn't usually mean worms. I too was a vet tech for many years too. Don't risk the health and welfare of your dog she has very special puppies to care for. If you want to worm her make sure she has worms and be especially careful what you worm her with. You don't want her ill from the worm medication. I just can't imagine trying to calculate a safe dose of horse wormer for a small breed dog and your vet would be liable for off label use a horse wormer. Not all wormers hit all the types of worms dogs can get. It is best to see if she roundworms, whipworms, hookworms, etc.
    Sue

6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I hpoe everything goes well.At this moment I've went blank and nothing comes to mind.I'll do research if I have time &then I'll post.

7. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Hi, just wanted to let you all know that we have figured it out. When my female gets close to whelping she dosent eat, like the day before, nothing, so she has an empty belly when she eats all the blood and placenta from the puppies....... Which makes it look like dark red blood, which will cause diarreah, which makes it look like she is pooping pure blood. Took her to the vet and he said he has seen this a million times as he puts it. She looks great and just loves her babies to death! Ok just thought I would let you all know!

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Eeewwweee but I glad she's Ok. Good info to know for sure.

9. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    I moved this since it's a dog and not a caprine. :)

10. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN