Unable to walk or stand Update pg 2 post 26

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by crocee, Oct 26, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I am not sure what is wrong with our Boer buck. He has lost a lot of weight over the last week but I can't figure out what's wrong. His eyes are light to medium pink and he was been wormed a few days ago with Ivermectin Plus in case it was/is meningeal worm, this was injected. He eats/drinks/pees/poops normally. He just can't/won't stand or walk. If I forcibly stand him up he draws his front legs up. Sometimes I can get him to stand for a few seconds before he buckles. The weather has been really wacky and alternating from warm to cold, wet and dry. He does not seem to be in any pain and doesn't have a temp. Right now I am doing massages of his legs to keep the tendons from contracting. I do not feel any broken bones, swelling, injuries, or anything else amiss. This is my husbands baby and he wants to do everything we can before the subject of putting him down. The only vet around that handled goats is no longer here so that's not an option unless I try to take him out of state( no I won''t do that).

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Re: Unable to walk or stand

bumping this up for you. hope your buck recovers.

I'll see what i can find on the web

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Have you taken the temp yet? Did he hurt himself some how? Have you checked feet? Making sure there is nothing stuck in the hoofs?

4. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

Vitamin B -- he could have goat polio... they go down FAST
    is he stargzing at all?

5. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

ANd it can't hurt to dose him with Vit B -- Do at least 5 cc of regular vit B im

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I agree, I'd get some B-complex in him or straight thiamine if you have it.

7. Re: Unable to walk or stand

I was thinking polio as well. Vit b 12 can be found over the counter at your local drug store I would give that and the b complex together. Worst comes to worst he pees the excess out. Have you done a fecal? Do you have a vet near you? A UTI or stone comes to mind too, but you should have a temp with that. If I need to, PM me and I can give you a number to a gal that might be able to help. A vet would be the best bet at this point though in my opinion, your risking loosing him if it is certain DX's.

Let us know.

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Has he gotten his BoSe shot? He might possibly have white muscle disease. A friend of mine just went through this with her doeling, she had the same symptoms.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

has he lost weight or muscle mass?
    beth

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

I have given him 5ml fortified each day for the past 5 days. The fortified has 100ml B1 per ml so thats 500ml per day.

11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

I only have oral BoSe and he has had a dose of that. This buck is 1.5 years old. I thought white muscle only happened with babies.

12. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

I suppose it would be both. What ever is causing this hit fast but none of the other goats are showing any signs. They still look very healthy and happy. The male had the trots 1 time last week, then it went to pudding, and then back to pellets. The pellets are larger than normal but still pellets none the less. I am totally confused as to what is wrong with him. He is UTD on his CD/T and although his feet could use a trimming, they do not look that bad. No hot spots, no smell, no swelling. He just can't or won't get up. He can move his legs so he is not paralyzed. We are going to try and make a sling to hold him up and help support his weight.

13. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

I know he has been wormed, but maybe do a fecal or have one done just to cover the bases with other parasites.......I know my one wether that I have worm issues (barber pole) with always has bigger goat berries than the others.....just a thought.

Praying that your boy gets better.....Denise

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

I will do a second fecal on him this afternoon just to make sure. Whatever is wrong has really got me stumped.

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Im really stumped I wish I could help you :scratch:

16. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI

It kind of sounds like meningeal worm to me. If he is still alert, eating, and drinking and his only symptom is not being able to get up, then I wouldn't be surprised if this is what it turns out to be. This is the time of year for it too...

If you already noticed the symptoms before you wormed him, it is likely that the ivomec would not help. Even if it kills the worms, usually by the time you see difficulty getting up there is nerve damage that may or may not be reversable.

I would definitely contact your vet to find out for sure...I'm hoping for the best for him :hug:

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

How is he doing?

18. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

He was walking although slowly when I gave him the Ivermectin shot. If I stand him up and hold him he wags his tail like a happy little puppy. He talks to you and tries to help. His legs do not seem to be paralyzed but they do seem weak.

19. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

very odd...I have a neighbor who lost a kid who started with the same symptoms, she was over loaded with cocci.
    beth

20. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

I have a fecal in flotation as I type so I should find out what that shows in a little bit.

OK Jake's legs do not seem to be paralyzed but they are very weak at the moment. His back legs are able to hold his weight but the front ones are too weak, but he can move them and feels pain when poked with a needle. I am exercising them every couple hours so they don't atrophy. Hes still eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping well. Other than not getting up on his own, hes just like any other normal goatie. His rumen is working very well as I can see it contracting quite a few times a minute. He is still getting 6cc's fortified B12 and Power Punch in one of his bowls of water. I haven't given him anymore ivermectin plus since the 23rd. From what I read he is supposed to get 3 shots 10 days apart. Please correct this if its wrong.

For his feed hes getting 2C alfalfa pellets x2/day, 1/4 C sweet feed x2/day, and all the grass hay he wants. I go out and give him water every couple hours as well since I don't want him tipping the bowl and soaking his bedding.

I looked for anything that could be causing the problem and didn't find anything. Was hoping it was from a tick or something easy but its not to be so.

Do you think splinting his front legs will help to strengthen them.

I am also fighting against the weather, heavy rain the next 3 days and nights. And fighting a good case of bronchial pneumonia myself. When trouble rains, it rains hard. I have Jake's house sealed up so he can stay warm and dry and that's where I will exercise him when its raining. Its tall enough that I can even stand him up in there. Hopefully I can get him over this hump and on the road to mending.