The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm still pretty new to all of this. I have four 10 month old doelings (Boer/Nubian/Nigerian mixes) who we keep for brushers. They have access to an acre of forage, and we move their fence frequently. They also have free access to hay, minerals, and baking soda. It's a good life for a goat, I tell you what.

They get grain rations nightly. I keep their grain in 2 separate containers for easy carrying. Yesterday, I fed them the last of one container. Tonight, I went to get my 2nd container, but it was empty, too. I stupidly forgot to buy more feed.

I rushed out to the feed store, but they were out of my feed. I went to another in the next town. They were out, too. So I grabbed what they had: Dumor pellets.

Switching feed suddenly = bad, I know. Is there anything I can do to mitigate any problems they might experience? I usually give probiotics, too.

TIA. I won't make that mistake again!

·
8,501 Posts
Since they are brush goats, they never actually eat the same food twice- Each browsing brings new things to them. So, I would guess that switching feed wouldn't be
as big a problem for your goats as someone that only feeds a certain type of hay every day and the same grain- as in a dry lotted herd. I wouldn't maybe give as much as
you usually do, say if you give 2 scoops a night, maybe only give 1 tonight and gradually increase it.

If you think that the grain you usually get may be in short supply, mix the Dumor pellets with your regular feed (when you get it) then, if you have to add or subtract types of feed,
there actually will be no change.

After you do feed the pellets, just keep half an eye on them, to make sure no one gets a belly ache, but, I really don't think you will have any problem.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
What do they normally eat for grain? We always keep an extra bag in the house but with supply issues the past few years since the pandemic we had to do a feed change that worked out for the better. We were able to make a slow switch though. If the feeds have a similar make up it's easier to change over but if example going from a sweet feed texture mix to a pellet I would give them less feed for a few days to let them adjust. Since they have browse they should do fine on less. I just don't like shocking their system but yes keep looking for the feed you used before and can go back to it with mixing in some of the other dumor so it doesn't go to waste.

I agree with goat rocks since brush goats it really shouldn't be too much a shock but keep an eye out.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The advice above is great. Just wanted to mention that free choice baking soda isn’t actually recommended anymore. Only give it to them if they are showing signs of bloat!

Our goats have had to switch feeds a couple times because of the same issues you’re going through + winter is coming so less hay supply, and they’ve been fine as long as you give it to them slowly. Start with small amounts, then gradually go up from there if they’re not showing any signs. Good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, that all makes sense. I normally just feed Purina because that's what their previous owners fed. They get a measured ration every night - about 1 cup each, depending on the goat.

Didn't know about the baking soda. I read a lot on the internet before getting my goaties, but must've been old articles - haha! For some reason, I was left with the impression that not only was baking soda needed, but also that over-eating was primarily associated with too lush of a pasture. Of course it would be with any new feed. That's only logical.

I had a tiny bit left in the container, so they got a mix of both. And they were fine. I will see if I can't find the Purina tomorrow (nothing is open on Sundays).

Thanks, and I'm glad that my mistake didn't hurt them.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,514 Posts
Honestly it’s always better to just say “well, guess they aren’t getting grain for a few days” than to panic and go to get a different one. DuMor Goat Feed is a pretty good feed and I’m actually a fan of how goats do on it - if your goats actually dealt fine with the switch, maybe just stick with it!

·
Administrator
85,812 Posts
With any new feed, especially grains, or hot feed hay, introduce it gradually. Start out with a little then increase as time goes by.
You do not want to shock their system.

Even with grazing as grazers, to new forage, if they eat too much of something new, can cause loose stool.

So be careful.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,884 Posts
Honestly it’s always better to just say “well, guess they aren’t getting grain for a few days” than to panic and go to get a different one. DuMor Goat Feed is a pretty good feed and I’m actually a fan of how goats do on it - if your goats actually dealt fine with the switch, maybe just stick with it!
I agree with this! In the couple of times, we had that issue, we doled out more hay or alfalfa pellets and waited a couple of days for grain to come in. We only feed grain to our milkers so it wasn't a huge deal for us. The girls didn't appreciate it but oh well haha.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
The Purina goat chow all lifestages is close to omolene 200. When I had to make my switch the vet said she always fed omolene 200 without any issues with her goats. So I just simiplifed and started feeding the horse fed to my goats too. We have been having issues with Purina goat and the goats started not eating it. The texture had been off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See? This is stuff I didn't know. Im really glad I found this site!

Well, it's all academic now. But I was able to find the Purina in the next county over. They were 100% fine today, thank goodness.

I am not keen on wasting the DuMor. It does seem like good feed, and it's a lil higher in copper, too. Do y'all think I can mix the Purina and the DuMor together so I don't waste the other 49 lbs?

Thanks, all!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts