Undecision About Puff

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by PiccoloGoat, Dec 18, 2008.

1. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Well something very.. erm... Unfortunate has happened.
    No, Puff didn't die, before you panic.

The vet that was going to get her spayed, decided to quit 4 days beforehand
    Now, we have to either pay the extra $50 to get it done sooner, or wait til February.
    :hair:

So we are considering our options. We can leave her til then. Or we could have kittens ; ]
    Because of Puff's awesome colours, her kittens would be so cute :love:

But we still don't know.
    :sigh:

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I would probably let it go until Feb. if it will save you $50. That is, if you can stand her when she's in heat....lol...

If you want her to have kittens, just make sure you can find good homes for them before you breed her.

3. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I wouldn't see anything too bad about her having babies? None of our cats have been spayed. we have had cats give birth atleast once a year and live past 10 y/o, and right now I have my Lonji, who is seven y/o, and has had 7-8 litters. She is about the size of your Puff, but not as unique in color. :wink:

4. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I think I shall play the voice of dissension here. Please, do your best to find a vet of equal cost, or perhaps a low cost s/n clinic nearby, or keep your kitty inside 24/7 with no access whatsoever to boy kitties until she can be spayed.

I have no doubt in my mind that your Puff is a beautiful gorgeous cat who will likely have no problem having kittens.

But please remember that problems can arise. I've had serious complications come up in foster kitties I've had. While uncommon, it can happen, and is so heartbreaking. Please remember the risk of mammary cancer too. I've also seen this is kitties and it's so sad.

If you think you can handle this, then take a walk through your local shelter and look at all the kitty faces behind the bars. Look up your zip on Petfinder.com and look at all the kitties there too. I won't ask you to volunteer for the euthanasia room, that's going a bit overboard . . .

I know you would do your VERY best to find homes for the kittens, again, no doubt in my mind you are a loving cat owner and would be very picky in your choices. There are just SO many unseen events that come up and I for one could never deal with the constant possibility of one of my kitties ending up in that room. Another thought I always worry about is whether the person who takes one of your kitties will be as responsible as you when it comes to altering.

Now, if you consider all of this, and are ready to go ahead with all proper care for Puff, I will certainly not say another word. There are people out there that will trash you for allowing your cat to breed, and I am NOT one of them. I just want to give my own opinion and a little information and hope you consider the possibilities fully.

If Puff does have some kittens, I promise you I'll be one of the first on here going "Awwww!" without any nasty snarky comments that I so often see on other boards.

[​IMG]

Good luck in whatever you decide! :hug:

5. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks Epona
    I have put all that stuff into consideration, and I do understand how many poor kitties die.
    But I would just love to see something be born. I think it would be magical.

And we still probably just won't do it. But... kittens :love:

Puff, at the moment, is re-living her kittenhood that she didnt get a chance to have, due to having her own in the wild.
    And I don't know if I want to take it from her again.

But we will see :grouphug:

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i would say , if you can find homes.. let puff have a litter.. but require that all the kittens be spayed or neutered before they leave... kinda like a shelter does..

and then have puff fixed

then you get the joy of kittens, and you know that you wont be causing a huge problem

i've done it.. and all of my cats are rescues..and fixed

haven't had any cats have babies since i was like 9, but we rescued 4 one week old kittens and bottle fed them.. best cats ever!!

but its fun to have babies.. just be responsible

7. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I agree!! Kittens = :love:

That's why I foster pregnant mommas, so I can see the kitties born and raise them until they're not longer little and cute. :ROFL:

I didn't notice before, but you're in a different country. Perhaps your overpopulation problems aren't as bad as ours. I don't know. Would love to visit your country someday!

Keep us updated on beautiful Puff. :grouphug:

ETA: Having all kittens s/n before leaving is an option of course, but pricey as you can imagine, and there's really no way to enforce a s/n agreement if that's what you choose to do. It's a tough thing to consider.

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    there is contractually.

and if she doesn't charge for the kittens, but requires s/n.. it's not horrible

i know in my town( of course totally diff country) i can get my tom cats fixed for 19 dollars

9. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Contracts do make it a bit easier, but even in purebred canines you can run into problems, as we found out with our show GSDs. But it does work most of the time!

Wow, $19! I have a place I can get toms done for $25, which is great.