The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! We currently have twin ADGA purebred nubian does that we added last year. They are really just meant to give us a supply of milk for our bottle babies. However, we would love to learn more! Since we are boer breeders, stars, appraisals, etc are a little confusing for us. Could anyone shine light on what these mean? Maybe break it down?

This is what their dam has according to her pedigree: SG 2*M LA 02-02 87 VVVV
I’m assuming SG stands for the Superior Genetics designation, but what does that mean? What does the 87VVV appraisal mean? Is that good for a 2 year old FF? I am so clueless lol

This is what the sire has: *B LA 03-07 88 VEE

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If you go on the ADGA website and find their performance program links they should have Q&A and other information for you.
SG is Superior Genetics, yes. That means that, based on their PTI, they ranked in the top 90%(I think?) of goats within their breed. I'm not sure more than a handful of people understand exactly how it's calculated, but it is based on the LA and DHI records of the animal herself, her ancestors, and her offspring.
LA is a lot more than just a number, but for a rough look at it, they grade a goat on a scale of 1-100, so an 87 doe is theoretically pretty decent. Keep in mind that the highest a FF can score is 89. The letters are another form of grading for certain traits in their evaluation-E is Excellent, V is Very good, + is Good plus, A is acceptable, F is fair, and P is poor. The 4 categories they put after your final score are regarding stature, strength, dairyness, and mammary, if I remember right. Your doe scored V in all those, so is Very Good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts