underweight goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by motherof5boys1girl, Aug 22, 2009.

1. motherof5boys1girl

motherof5boys1girl Guest

Aug 3, 2009
    well, we decided after much waffling back and forth (on my part!) to go ahead and move and we got our goats back..the problem is that they look underweight now! they dont have their big bellies anymore and i am not sure if they need more food or what? should i give them some high calorie treats or are they ok?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have a fecal done ....it may find a worm load or possible cocci...

If it comes up clean....... then ...they need more feed.... :wink:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    NP...your very welcome.... :wink: :)

giving more feed now ..won't hurt...maybe a little grain to....either way... worms or not.... if they need more weight put on...then feeding more will help...just be careful not to give to much at first .....we don't need them scouring ...do it gradually .... :greengrin:

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    They haven't been away from you for too long, but the stress of moving could have had them lose their appetites as well as if they didn't have access to browse/hay, the rumens could be empty, making them appear skinny, but stress will bring on a wormload too...so it would be best to have a fecal done to see what type they may have and worm accordingly. BTW....SO VERY HAPPY THAT YOU ARE ALL TOGETHER AGAIN :stars:

5. motherof5boys1girl

motherof5boys1girl Guest

Aug 3, 2009
    thank you!
    we are going to look at a house today, but we decided that we are better off in a more rural setting anyways..so for the time being, they are out back and no one has said a word so far.
    maybe it is stress then..when we first brought them home, they all wanted to be held and loved on and wouldnt leave our side..now they are all stretched out on their pallet thing i made them relaxing.
    yes, its their rumens that look empty...because usually they are really barrel shaped but now, they arent.

6. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I'm so glad to hear you finally got your goats back :stars:

7. motherof5boys1girl

motherof5boys1girl Guest

Aug 3, 2009
    thank you! you helped with that, i might add!

but yes, i missed them so much, and my husband did as well so we are just moving..the kids are thrilled as well because they missed the goats as much as we did i think.

8. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    It was my pleasure :thumbup: I LOVE a happy ending especially with goats involved :hug: