The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of my (does) Nigerians are losing some weight and I would like them to gain it back in a healthy way before the winter hits here. We just purchased a gorgeous buck recently and I would like to breed them but I think they are a little on the thin side to breed yet. I have had them since January, they are 2 & 4 years old.

Over the summer, their diet was minimal hay, an acre of weeds, grass, trees (holy moly do they love walnut trees!), and they broke out and had a lovely time in my garden.. They got 1 scoop (1.5 cups) of grain in the morning for milking. Coming into fall, we're a bit late on the ball, but we'll be picking up 3rd cutting alfalfa next weekend, so they will have free access to hay all winter again.

Someone suggested worming them, I haven't wormed them at all, so I'll start there? What do I purchase? There are some great farm supple places around here, I'm sure I can get whatever I need locally.

Besides worming them, should I add grain back into their diet daily? Anything else?

I appreciate your advice!

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
I would have a fecal done before you do any worming. Make sure the fecal test includes coccidia. With them eating walnut, they may not need deworming. But a fecal test will tell you for sure.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would coccidia affect all my goats? Or is it possible that only two of the 5 of them have it? The other two does (one nigerian born in feb & one mini-lamancha) haven't lost any weight.

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
It is possible that only a couple have problems. If you can afford to do separate fecals, I would. Then only worm goats that need it.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
As for food wise I always turn to calf manna for the 'hard keepers'. Its not cheap but you are talking to one of the cheapest people in the world and I think it is worth every bit of the money and you don't really need to add that much.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jessica, would you add it to their grain mix in the morning or keep it in their area all the time like hay?

I'll call a vet that I heard will work with goats for pricing on fecals. Can't be that much right?!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I mix it in with their grain. I do it that way because some don't like it at first and I have to trick them and also its like a bag of total goodness and don't want them to get too much at once. I don't measure but if I were to guess on how much I give I would say about a cup of course added slowly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts