The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a goat with an issue with both front hooves. When we received this goat she would only walk on her knees. We have tried to trim a little at a time but the hooves are severly uneven and we can't get ahead of it. She is walking on her knees almost constantly because of the discomfort. I haven't been able to find anyone else with this problem. I have attached photos of her feet. Any advice or suggestions are welcomed!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
We have a goat with an issue with both front hooves. When we received this goat she would only walk on her knees. We have tried to trim a little at a time but the hooves are severly uneven and we can't get ahead of it. She is walking on her knees almost constantly because of the discomfort. I haven't been able to find anyone else with this problem. I have attached photos of her feet. Any advice or suggestions are welcomed!
Hmmmm. @Jessica84 @SalteyLove @Damfino @Moers kiko boars @toth boer goats @ksalvagno

I wonder if a hoof grinder might help with this goat? That is a big difference in the two sides. The longer one.... have you trimmed down until you see pink? Or are you afraid to trim a lot at one sitting?

I understand the trim a bit at a time if they are horribly overgrown to let the pasterns try to work themselves out from the overgrown and way she is walking. But taking it down to pink i would think should be actually good for that long long side.

How does the untrimmed one look when it is trimmed on the bottom? Can you post a pic of the whole hoof set trimmed as well?

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Start trimming the taller side down.

You will have to do it over time, when you see pink stop.
You can come back and trim again in 3 weeks to a month.
Trim a little at a time.
It will get there.

Also trim a little bit on the inner big wall, so they come together better.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Are you seeing pink in the frog/sole when you stop trimming? Looks like quite a bit more could be taken off. There was a similar post not too long ago, let me see if I can find it.

You might consider hiring a goat farrier just for this one goat to get her back up on her feet as you don't want arthritis to set in from the knee walking.

·
Registered
30,575 Posts
knee walkers can also indicate Founder. Feel near the back and top of the hoof where it meets the hair line. Is it red. painful and heated?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts