The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2nd freshening, and she has developed a slightly (very slightly) uneven udder. She's 3 mos post kidding and I've been milking (started once a day when kids were 2wks) since. I'm careful with my procedures and milking out, milk has no off flavor or appearance, she shows no signs of problems - to include no fever. Could this be subclinical mastitis??

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
was her udder uneven to begin with? or is this new? can you post a picture? there's a home mastitis test that you can do with dish soap that I read somewhere along my goat readings, but I can't seem to remember what it was called or find it. maybe someone will chime in about that...

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it just started in the last few days. I don't have a pic at the moment, and it's kind of hard to see (I guess maybe sometimes I keep to close of an eye :eek:). I've seen somewhere the home test also. However, I'm wondering if being subclinical it would still show up, since the milk looks and tastes perfect. :confused:

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
and raw garlic to help boost immune system. some worry it makes the milk taste funny, but I haven't noticed garlic making my girl's milk taste funny

·
2,203 Posts
Sometimes hormones during lactation lead a doe to become uneven. Sometimes it straightens out, sometimes not. Even humans aren't symmetrical ;)

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
I'm going to do the garlic oil on my girl's udder too. Discovered that there are forms of mastitis that can be contagious to other milkers. :hair: Gladly her case isn't bad, but I have learned to thoroughly clean the milk pump between each milker, not just after milking. I'm hitting her big time with Cs, Garlic, peppermint oil compresses, Immune Support, and a bit of her own milk. I wish I could milk her 3xs a day every day ... but the days I can I will.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
When they won't take willingly, I either make it into a dosage ball or a drench. I add mollasses and they forget it's medicine, not a cookie. ;)

·
1,983 Posts
Clean her udder, couple squirts, then milk some in a clean container add a couple drops of dishsoap and swirl it around. If she has mastitis it will be anywhere from a little thick or chunky and stringy to a hunk of white slime. Test one side at a time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts