The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a nice little ND doe that is 5 years old. I milked her for a short time 3 years ago but had to stop because I was hospitalized. She had a single and took forever to dry up and one side was always larger. I bred her again this past year and she had 2 bucklings. I milked her up until last month . Her udder was still slightly uneven but no mastitis etc. I have spent the last month slowly drying her off ---- no grain etc and the one side is still larger .It is soft and I have not milked in1 month. Suggestions please.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Milk out the fuller half as well as the lesser half, I've never infused meds after a final milkout for dry off.

Her udder will likely be uneven the rest of her producing years, I've had to work hard to keep my girls who have had singles even... I try and get the kid to nurse both sides but will also milk very often during the first few weeks to ensure production stays up on the half the kid won't use, up to every 2-3 hours once I'm home from work. With my one doe, even though you can't visibly see her uneven side, I can feel a difference in the mammary tissue as I milk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts