The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doe who has one side of her udder that is full and very tight. The other side is very small and is the side the kids have been drinking off of. Both kids drink off of one side :mad:. I milked that one side today as I wanted to relieve her a little bit. I wanted to start regularly milking her but I don’t want to encourage the uneven fill. Should I try to train one kid to go to the other side? I’ve never done that before but could try it. Or should I milk one or both sides? Also deciding whether to sell her or not, I have to eventually so I figured I would try to get someone to take her and the kids at the same time, but don’t want to sell her as a milking doe if she has a lop sided udder.

Reactions: CaramelKittey

·
Registered
528 Posts
You definitely need to milk it out a little at least to keep it healthy. How old are the kids? That might be important info. I would certainly try to get one or both to use the other side. It doesn't have to be strictly one on each side it is best if they both switch regularly. It's likely either that teat was still plugged in which case a test squeeze on both sides shortly after delivery to clear plugs would be helpful. Or the one side simply became to engorged and the kids couldn't nurse well so went for the easy side, which is why you would want to express enough to at least keep the udder soft. Im not sure on training kids to nurse the other side but would certainly recommend it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You definitely need to milk it out a little at least to keep it healthy. How old are the kids? That might be important info. I would certainly try to get one or both to use the other side. It doesn't have to be strictly one on each side it is best if they both switch regularly. It's likely either that teat was still plugged in which case a test squeeze on both sides shortly after delivery to clear plugs would be helpful. Or the one side simply became to engorged and the kids couldn't nurse well so went for the easy side, which is why you would want to express enough to at least keep the udder soft. Im not sure on training kids to nurse the other side but would certainly recommend it.
Right after delivery I made sure both teats were working and they were. I think her teats were a bit hard for them to drink out of because they were so large and full, so once the first kid had drank some, the teat was smaller and the other kid had an easier time with that teat over the other one. Resulting in both on one side. The kids are 6 days old.

Reactions: CaramelKittey

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
You either need to milk her out or train a kid on the teat. If the teat isn't used or milked out, you could end up with mastitis. In the best senario that side will dry up. Worst senario, mastitis. You could certainly end up with a congested half too. You are going to have an uneven udder if you do nothing.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try training a kid to go to the other side but will probably just end up milking her.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
While training a kid to nurse on the other teat sounds difficult, it really isn't as bad as it sounds. ;)

It is especially easy to train them when you wean them. When you begin to wean them and separate them from the doe, take advantage of the time when you let them out with the doe to nurse. Just cover the teat that the kid's favor with your hand, and force the kids to nurse on the other teat. If the doe resists, you may need to put her on a milking stand and allow the kids to nurse on the stand. I hope everything goes well with your doe!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts