The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While attempting to add a new goat to our herd, we went to pick up our new doe and quickly realized she was not being fed properly. She had very little forage, limited access to hay, and no other feed. Loose minerals were allegedly available to her.

Her spine, hips, and ribs are defined and visible, and she is hesitant and week. She kidded multiples a few months ago and has been nursing since, but does not seem to have any nutrients left for herself.

Does anyone have advice or experience adding grain to a goat's diet when they have had so little food on regular basis?

Also, I have been unable to find an inches to pounds measuring tape or conversion chart online. Does anyone have a resource to suggest? I'd like to be very deliberate about tracking her weight gain and to have an objective comparison to our other girls.

I have already reached out to our vet, but am open to any help as we wait to hear back. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,194 Posts
I really like Dyne..a food additive. Its full of good nutrients. I have put it in electrolytes& water and drenched my girls. A few years back I had an awful time with barberpole after.kidding. i did this drench and gave them each 50ccs drench 2xs a day. They were on full pasture, grain 1x a day. Then the drench. It took about a week and I was extremely happy with the results.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
You will want to add new foods slowly. Start with good quality hay and alfalfa. Let her rumen adjust to having all the hay she wants. Once you see good rumen activity add feed. A small handful a few times a day to start. You don't want to over load her..go slow. Focus on her health rather than weight..weight will follow.
A good feed would be 14-16%protien. A drizzle of e.v. olive oil for extra fat. Ex virgin olive oil is good food. Fat adds weight. Also go slow with new foods.
If babies are still on her..pull them and give her a much needed break.
I would definitely give daily probiotics, fresh raw garlic and quality loose minerals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all! We bought her and her previous owner kept the kids. We are trying to milk her enough to dry her off at a reasonable rate so she can get enough nutrients for herself. She had a good first day and did well having hay all day. We will definitely start adding alfalfa. We have been giving her a probiotic paste we had on hand and her fecal consistency has been normal.

We really appreciate all of the guidance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts