Uninterested 6.5 mo Old Buckling

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by FoxRidge, Sep 23, 2020.

1. FoxRidge

FoxRidge Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    So my boy Maverick is fairly young but then again he mounts all my other bucks and pees all over the placed and does his lip sniffy doodle. But when I take the boys for a walk past the girls just to see where everyone is sitting, boy and girls alike, he wants the grass or attention from me... I know he's not terrible old and maybe him and his perspective does will just have to be stalled together for a day or 2 and observed but I'm getting a bit worried. He's in good weight, good coat condition, stands proud and alert. But is just Meh on the girls. His does aren't to be bred for almost 2 months yet, hoping he starts to come around more but should I be worried at this point? He's 6 months 21 days old currently.

2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Is he in full rut and the girls in heat? He is young. But the instinct should be there. See if a few days with the ladies perks his interest?

3. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    I might move the bucks to the pen next to the does, I just worry since a few of these bucks are new to the property and I don't know how far they will go to get to the ladies. I have never had an adult break out before. I do have a back up buckling for his does if he doesn't come around. He has wonderful lines and is gorgeous so I'm really hoping he does come around for me.

Russian Ridge Maverick, Some pictures of him when he was shaved down earlier this summer and then today with his buddies. Apollon is a yearling buck that's a nice average size Nigerian for size reference, he's the larger dark buckskin boy.

Attached Files:

4. Lindan

Lindan Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2018
    He could just prefer Bucks?
    :shrug:
    I have one of those, he is in full rut like the others, displays, does his dances, urinates, and reacts strongly to the smell of females in heat... He just doesn't want to mount them, goes straight for the other buckling instead. (rofl)

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    I am fearing that legitimately lol, I had to trim his hooves the other day and took him through the doe pen just to see if maybe alone far away from his buds if he'd liven up to the girls. One was in a solid standing heat. I let him sniff......he did sniff for a good 3 solid seconds and then wanted to get on the milk stand for his grain.......NOOOO

6. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    UGH just UGH - so frustrating! I'm planning on using junior bucks this year as well, next month. Hope they get the job done, but again you never know.......just put them out in a pen next to the ladies, so hope to see some serious action in a few weeks. I've never had a problem with my juniors,but you never know.

7. Lindan

Lindan Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Yeah that's concerning, have you considered having a vet do bloodwork in case he has something hormonal going on?
    My boy still gets really excited to sniff and lick at the smell of doe in heat...

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If you are taking him out of his normal area, he is probably too interested in exploring. You need to just put him in with the girls for a month.

9. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Sometimes the juniors - ARE excited to sniff lick and chase, but when it comes to the actual breeding they don't have a clue. It helps to hand breed. Have someone hold the doe, and someone guide the buck.

10. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    I might have too, they have a month or 2 yet depending on the pairings

11. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    This might sound stupid, but can you have him watch a mature buck breed so he gets an idea what to do?

12. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Some males have nooooo clue...... you are probably going to have to guide and educate.

13. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    I could assist him and I could maybe breed my first does just outside the buck pen where the little boys could see. I have been walking the does past the boys every other day so I can kind of monitor how the little guys are progressing. Today Maverick seemed a bit more interested, the other 2 young bucks are READY lol. Maverick was peeing and sniffing and standing proud while trying to sniff the does today so that's a bit better. He seemingly acts Shy, if the girls move around too fast he flees a bit (like a few feet) but comes back. I think he's the bottom of the pecking order in my buck herd. When the other boys are away from him but he is still in his paddock he seems more comfortable and interested.

14. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    So flying by the seat of my pants I saw one of the does that I was planning to breed to Maverick was is a strong standing heat and decided just to go for it! I put him and her in an 8 x 8 stall together with Hay and water and had to hold his nose to her butt a couple times but after maybe 2 minutes he was blubbing her and mounting and for sure did the did at least 3 times in 10 minutes. They are in the honeymoon suite til I get home from work tonight lol just to be sure. He's a pro now hahahaha