unruly buck..

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by AlaskaBoers, Jun 13, 2008.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    okay, Thor (scabs) is going to a show next week. every store around here is out of choke chains lrage enough for him 30". can i show him in a nice nylon one, or will he be discriminated for it?.. Also when i'm walking with him, he lowers his head and gets me with his horns, same with setting him up. no idea why! -could i squirt him with water until he learns its bad? 0r what else to get the guy to not to butt me>???

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Here they don't like the nylons and my buck is bad too. I woould try the spraying him but it only makes it worse for me.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah, maybe someone else here would have a tip that could work for both of us.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I think you could show in a nylon, for a buck. His neck just won't look as long.

As to him not keeping his head up, I don't know what to say. Does he actually butt you? If he does you really need to teach him some manners. Next time he butts you, go under him and grab his back legs and flip him on the ground and just sit on him screaming at him. Don't let him up until he sighs, that means he has given up. I don't like to do this a lot, but only do it if he does behavior that is not acceptable, like the butting. Don't do it just because he won't walk with you though :wink:

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yes, he actually butts me, its getting old pretty quick, and he weighs more than i do so he gets pretty intimidating. but i will definetly try this. because if he keeps this up he's going to a new home. I'm not going to put up with a mean buck! thanks goat happy. :)

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thanks again! -that really improved, I took him out and we started walking out to the pasture, i was taking off his lead, and he started butting me (i think he butts only when someone touched his horn because kids used to play with his horns when he was young.) so i flipped him over and sat, keepeing his head down, he let out a :sigh: and i let him back up,. after that, he held his head up, let me place his feet and he was awesome! i will do that if he tries butting again.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Glad it worked :) Remember, only do it when necessary, its about respect, not fear :)

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Glad that worked!

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah, so i'm going to show him in a nylon. I have a junior doe who is pretty short (boer) i'm showing her in a chain, can you use a lead when showing a goat that small? so your'e not breaking your back?

10. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    If the lead is very short it wouls probably be o.k.

11. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC