The Goat Spot Forum banner

Unsocialized goat

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  The-bleating-goat-farm 
#1 ·
Our mama goat, is not used to human contact, she will eat grain out of your hand but when you try to pet her she jumps away. I have been going out there every day with them for about 2 weeks and she just won't get any closer we have trimmed her hooves and have milked her a few times. Do you think leaving a lead on her and keeping her with me at all times would work I foster for a dog rescue and have learned that it works with unsocialized dogs, goats seem as intelligent. So do you think it will work or does anyone have a better suggestion.

#2 ·
You mean putting her on a lead and tying to your belt loop or something? It may work. Certainly won't hurt to try. Some goats never do get friendly though. Just want to prepare you for that. Is she in milk? If she is, I would milk her twice a day too to have that contact.

#3 ·
Yes she has a 3 week old doeling, we have had them for about 2 weeks. Can I over stress her we have to block her into a corner to get our hands on her. Her baby acts just like her but I catch her when I can and hold her on my lap and put my hands all over her to get her used to it. She is getting better, mama is stubborn though lol. I am going to try milking her twice a day thanks

#4 ·
You could try keeping her with you all the time, the only thing I would be wary about is if she is big enough to take you with her if she decides to leave. Is she a mini goat or full size? A full size goat would probably be too big to have tied to you. If you just hang on to the lead I don't see a problem with that.

It will be stressful to her to be trying to catch her but as long as you don't chase her she shouldn't get over stressed. Once she learns you aren't going to hurt her she will get better. Do you give her any treats? My goats love peanuts and even my wild ones will come up for a peanut :)

#8 ·
We got on friendly terms with our baby goat by putting out our fist for it to head butt. He liked it a lot! So then - eventually- we started sneaking in a scratch behind his cute ears. Now our baby Meadowlark runs to us when he sees us. We don't let him butt us-he'd rather be petted.
Now, his ma doesn't approve one bit! She was very protective of baby the first 2 to 3 weeks. We couldn't get near him w/o getting chased. So, after being bruised a few times we bonded w/baby.

#9 ·
Actually, now ma goat becomes upset if they are outside of their pen and I'm not around to help babysit! They'll follow me through the yard as I walk away, "maa! MAA!"
But, ma will still challenge me when she catches me petting Meadowlark. I do think she likes me but she has to let me know she's still the boss of baby!

#10 ·
I went outside and laid down close to the baby which I call little bit and she came up to me and started sniffing my face then she walked to my side nibbled my shirt then she climbed on my back for a min, best thing I ever did now she comes up when I sit on the ground I am hoping soon we will be best of friends:D then maybe mama will trust me too;)

#12 · (Edited)
That's great progress. A couple years ago, I adopted 2 angora goat kids. They were in terrible shape and human contact had been slim and unkind. I would walk them around searching for grass around the place. After a while, I'd pick grass and thought I'd take it back to the pen when we returned so they had a little surprise. The boy was sharp as a whip watching everything and watched me picking grass. He started coming over to me nibbling what I had. Eventually, the shy little girl came over to me too and nibbled what I picked. The little things like that are important and will encourage interaction.

#13 ·
I have one that was very skittish I could not get near her at all she would not even come to feed. We got 2 bottle baby's that were in you're lap every chance they got. The skittish doe made friends with the other goats and saw that they trusted us so she started coming closer now she's almost as friendly as the bottle baby's she comes running at feeding time and lets us per her all over.
I say patience and persistence
just remember in nature there is predator and prey she looks at you as a predator the only response she can have flight or fight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.