The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I got a new got last Thursday, on 14 March. He a beautiful two year old Nigerian Dwarf fainting goat named Ricky, who was bottle fed and very friendly...following us all over the place when we got him home. We introduced him to our small herd, who are all pets, gradually. We have several Nubians, one who is a super friendly and lovable year old buck named Chompers. We also have a third buck who’s a Nigerian Dwarf, named Robby. They spared a bit at first, but Robby wanted nothing to do with Ricky’s aggressiveness. Chompers seemed to enjoy the challenge...I didn’t think much of it. The owner of Ricky told us that Ricky was a little “pushy”...and he is!!
I’ve got the bruises to show for it.
Well, today...my son called me about an hour ago. He said, “Mom, I’ve got some bad news...the new goat has killed Chompers. I found him laying in the field...dead.”
I went crazy. I couldn’t hear the rest and told him I had to talk to him later...I’ve been sobbing for two hours. I’m no help at all at times like these. I feel guilty for telling my son about this new goat. I feel guilty for putting a chain collar on Chompers. (I put a regular dog collar on all the others, so I can hold on to them when necessary). I feel guilty for not being there when it happened. I feel bad that I’m not a support for my son, when we’re actually both very NEW to the goat business...I have no spine. I go to pieces. (I always upset people unnecessarily.). It’s awful. And now my favorite, Chompers...with the prettiest curly hair, the friendliest smile, the sweetest disposition...is gone. I can’t stop sobbing.
When I get myself together, we’ll need to decide what to do. I knew that Bucks fight over does, but we had never separated Chompers and Robby. Now that this has happened, we don’t want sweet Robby to die. —Is there any way to get rid of horn?
—Is there anything that can go onto horns that would make them less lethal?
—Does the death of Chompers mean that Ricky will continue to be dangerous and must GO? I’m sure we can take him back to the farm we got him from...the owner only used him to breed his one doe, and he gave Ricky to us.
Please advise!!!

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
I kinda agree with karen.. sounds like the owner let him go for a reason. Did your son only find chompers or did he find evidence that there was a nasty fight and he got gored or somethin? Is he the only horned one you have? I have seen people put tennis balls on hors with duct tape and split pool noodles to cover horns. I think it is a decision you need make... is he just tryin find his place there? Or is he just a jerk agressive goat boy? You said chompers liked the scuffle... ay e he was tryin tell the new giy this is his place and he is top dog whereas the other one walked away.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Oh my... that's a horrible story and I'm so sorry. You have to pull yourself together and try to make sense of what happened. How did Ricky kill Chompers? Did he hook the collar and strangle him or break his neck, or was it another way? Did your son see Ricky kill Chompers? Do you think Ricky meant to kill Chompers, or was this an accident that occurred because of the collar?

If you have bruises from Ricky hitting you, then it doesn't sound like he's a very good goat to have around. Even if he can learn to be gentle with people, if he's excessively aggressive toward other goats, then he will be dangerous to keep. Removing horns is possible but not recommended, and it won't necessarily solve the problem. My most aggressive goat was polled and she managed to do quite a lot of damage without horns.

Once again, I'm truly sorry this happened. I'm always a nervous wreck when we have to introduce new, intact males into my herd because there is always a good bit of hard fighting between the newcomers and my big pack wethers, who are the established herd leaders. I often remove collars for the first few days, or if I leave collars on they have to be a kind that will break under stress since horned goats nearly always try to hook and drag each other around by the collars. I've never seen one hook and strangle another to the point of true distress though. It seems like that would either take a special kind of aggression or it was an accident. Try to calm down and get the details. If you think it was aggression rather than accident, I'd recommend getting rid of Ricky ASAP, especially since you say you are inexperienced with goats.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I know you are heartbroken :(

Bucks need to be introduced gradually and with supervision. But in all honesty, that new buck would be shot. You mentioned you have bruises? That is a huge no-go. There are many nice bucks out there and no reason to have a buck that is pushy or aggressive. Sometimes you can work with it, but that would be a “freezer meat” candidate.

I would call the breeder back and let them have first dibs (which I doubt they’ll want him) and ship him for meat

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
First, let me tell you, do not feel guilty. It wasnt your fault. That new buck is aggressive and should be put in the freezer. I dont even know why the previous owner wouldnt have put him in the freezer if he has always been like this. i am so sorry. try to calm down and get all the details

1 - 9 of 9 Posts