Unwanted Goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by 2horses, Sep 30, 2010.

1. 2horses

2horses New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Hobart, IN
    My husband was talking with a co-worker yesterday and heard an interesting story. Her and her husband have 6 horses on their own property. Her husband discovered 2 GOATS in the horse pasture yesterday morning! He came running back in the house yelling at her asking why she bought goats and didn't tell him :) She didn't believe him, thought he was pulling a prank till she saw them... Seems someone just put them in their pasture. She called the neighbors, no one around there has goats or knew anything about it. I guess she was going to make more phone calls/flyers last night to try to find the owner. At this point, they were talking about the possibility of keeping them if no one comes forward.

Oh! When they first went in the pasture, the fence clicked and one of the goats fell over. Her husband freaked and said, great, now we have a dead goat to deal with. Nope, they are fainters! They said they are really friendly.

Anyway, how common is this? :whatgoat: (And why can't someone drop off two fainters in MY pasture??) I know it's gotten more common in the horse world. I've heard of people turning horses loose or putting them in someone else's pasture when they can't afford to feed them anymore. A friend of mine had a strange horse show up in her trailer while she was riding at a state park...

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    not heard of anything like that happening around here.

3. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

A family we know in TN has lots of beef cows. They had a new cow show up one day. They never found the owner, and the cow has given them several calves! They view it as an unexpected blessing! :wink:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, who ever had them might not of been able to take care of them anymore. They might of thought that the horses looked good and were treated well so they figured they woudl be treated well.

I have seen or heard of people doing it around here.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow... that is something new..... never heard of that either.... :scratch:

Do they have any tattoo's in their ears ?

6. BR Ranch Nigerians

BR Ranch Nigerians New Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Haven't heard of anyone dropping goats off in pastures, but one of my neighbors went out to her barn one morning and there was a older horse that was blind in one eye standing in the walk through. Their property borders state land so they think some one may have turned him loose and he found his way down to their house. They never did find the owner but have since adopted him as their own because he was such a sweet horse.

7. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Plenty of "free" horses and donkeys around here but have not heard about goats. Most people sell or find pet homes for goats. Strangely no one here has turned loose any mules. Mules are worth more than horses here.

Gina

8. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Ok..... here's my suspicious nature popping up again. In this case the people didn't have goats already so to have a few 'suprises' wouldn't necessarily spell disaster. But they did have horses - what if it was a horse 'dropped off' into a herd of high-dollar show horses - and testing revealed that the suprise horse comes up positive for Coggins? Or if you have a prized herd of dairy goats and someone 'drops off' a few extra into your herd.... and testing reveals they have CAE/CL?

IMHO I'd be quarantining these critters until a vet checked them over or the rightful owners reclaimed them.

9. 2horses

2horses New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Hobart, IN
    (sorry guys, my posts are still being moderated)

Miss MM - That's exactly what my discussion with my husband was about last night after the initial "How neat!"... He didn't know if the goats were horned or not, but what if they were and injured a horse? What if one of the horses kicked a goat and injured or killed it? Now you've got a vet bill for an animal that isn't yours, or because of an animal that isn't yours.

10. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Look at as a Blessing !! You were chosen to have them,

11. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I am totally laughing at the gate clicking and the goat falling over and you thinking that now you have a dead goat to deal with!!!!

12. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    A few years ago, before i wanted goats, my ex tried to talk me into taking theirs when they moved into a trailer park. I didn't want to start a situation where he thought i would clean up his bad choices since he is a serial animal dumper (just one of a million reasons he is my ex) but also I just wasn't set up to keep goats and I knew nothing about them, yet.

The week after he asked me about them my daughter came home and said he had just dropped them over the fence in with a farmer's cows. *shock* These were tall dairy wethers, i mean TALL. Taller than my mini horses. I can't imagine wrestling one of those up and over a barbed wire fence. *disgusted*

If someone wants to drop off unwanted fainters at my house, please just tie them out front or stick them in a stall in the barn, thanks!! *grin*

13. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    Wow... we have only been at our place a little less than two years but the only animals we find a dumped cats/kittens or stray dogs.

14. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I agree with MissMM.That would be my first concern and always is when stray cats show up.I have had a heck of a time with respitory issues because sick cat found it's way here.It's been non stop passen back and forth to one another.Imagine the meds I've gone threw tryen to keep them all healthy!! Anyhow..it would be a blessing and one I would gladly except if it were to happen to me.I would though wish the people would have it tied or something so I could quarantine first.I would rather them bring them to me then let them starve to death or have ongoing health issues they can not afford to treat.We had a lady near us recently have 20 horses she let starve to near death because she couldn't afford to feed them instead of just turnen them in to someone who could or sell them.What happened to common sense???????????? Anyhow the judge gave her 45 days in jail I think for animal cruilty :( I would of smacked her with the book!! How I would of loved to have one of those horses! She was a well known breeder aparently.Not sure on the name..it was in the paper.Sad

15. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I would be concerned about disease. Do the goats look healthy?

16. beefy

beefy New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Georgia
    is it possible the goats just wandered up and got thru the fence on their own, attracted to some feed or something?

i have had random cows show up before, i suspect (and have been told this is the case before) in several instances a neighbor has seen them out and just assumed they were mine and opened the gate and run them in. i always wonder how they get in.

i'm glad no one has dumped any horses in my pasture. this year alone i have had 9 dogs dumped out here. 5 of which i have taken in. and 2 of those are incredible dogs with excellent herding capabilities.

one had been starved to death to the point he couldnt walk and dumped out in a ditch to die. another was a pupply less than amonth old completely covered in mange and potbellied (he looks awesome now), one was a pregnant border collie husky mix (great herding dog!) and most recently a mangey female chihuahua that is either about to have puppies or is drying off from having some recently. i cant tell yet, she isnt in very good condition...

17. flatmountain

flatmountain Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Yeah, wish someone would dump a goat or cow here :) But it would be getting a blood draw ASAP. But dogs and cats are dopped all the time. I've placed 10 over the last five years, and ignored several more. Had one aggressive momma that I had to catch and take to the local shelter. (which is not really local and out of county so they charge $50 to take in the animal) She was threatening everyone, but too shy to touch. Was a sad situation cause I know if she had lived a good life she coulda been a good dog. :( But my kids were getting growled at and no one could play outside without an adult so...
    Still makes me mad dealing every body elses problems. We have our problems I assure you ;)

18. 2horses

2horses New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Hobart, IN
    This happened to my husband's co-worker, NOT ME! I have not personally seen the goats.

Not sure if they could have wandered in accidently... She said no one in the area knows of anyone who has goats...