Unwelcome Visitor...

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by Laurel_Haven, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Went to feed my new chicks today and I found this unwelcome visitor in with them! A big snake! :shocked: I couldn't believe my eyes, he was so huge and already had a chick in his mouth. Fortunately my son was here and was able to shoot him before he could get more. Yes we killed the snake. I did a head count and only lost one chick. What a creepy thing to experience.

My chicks... as you can see they are quite traumatized from the event. :worried:
    [​IMG]

The snake... our unwelcome visitor! :GAAH:
    [​IMG]

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH my Lord. I would of had a heart attack.

Glad you only lost one chick. Here here for your son. :clap: :clap:

3. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Goodness!! Tina I am so sorry! Atleast you got to him before he got more than one. SNAKES :angry:

BTW those are some really cute chicks :wink:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    oh my.......................I am sorry you lost one..........but at least you ...found it before it came back for more......later........... :worried:

5. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    It must be that time of year - I let everyone out yesterday for a free roam and we've got some trees down throughout the horse pasture (where I took the goats to) and something moves - the goats about walking all over it and it's stupid little creepy head starts going up in a strive position - *shivers* lol - well I had to call my dogs to get it - I had goats all around and my 3 y/o was next to me and I was wearing flip flops - of course everyone here is mad I'd kill a black snake (oh it won't hurt you, it wasn't really going to bite you, blah blah) but I guess to be honest - I didn't kill it, my two dogs did :) *uuggghh* I hate snakes - I try to ignore them but .... not always so easy...LOL. And to think, when I was young I used to catch them and keep them in tanks - heavens I've become a sissy!!!

Glad you didn't lose too many - I know how aggravating it can get to lose those little farts.

6. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I hate snakes . . . . shuddering. . . . :GAAH:

7. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Saved the snake for hubby to see when he got home from work, well he measured it and that big boy was 5' 7" !!! :GAAH:

I HATE snakes, but I usually don't kill any black snakes on our property, and we have alot living in the woods here. They tend to keep the "bad" snakes away... Unless they get into my barn with the goats or near the chicken coop. Then I feel they are tresspassing and yes, then they are disposed of. This one killed, therefore it was killed. Sorry to all the snake lovers out there. :hug:

Now I am more cautious and nervous entering the chick area, I hope that was the last and notthe start of things. :shrug: I hate being surprised like that.

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Aww, poor chicks! I hate beings surprised, whether it be a mouse or a snake that surprises me lol. I don't mind snakes around but certainly wouldn't tolerate them killing my chicks!!

That is a big one! Almost as long as I am tall :shocked:

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Wow it sure doesnt look that big in the pic. You sure must be proud of your son!
    Ive gotten to be a big sissy too. Theres rats around here but one day I saw must have been a 20lb rat in a plastic garbage container that I throw floor sweepings into. I screamed bloody murder.
    Sent dh out I didnt want to see that monster again.
    "Nan, here's your rat" It was a possum. :doh:

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i cant kill snakes. and i get very angry when people do

the snake is only doing what it does to survive and people kill them because they fear them.. thats stupid.

i had a snake get into my rabbit barn and attack my baby rabbits.. i just caught it and pried it off the babies and relocated it.

one less snake means alot more mice

11. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    LOL, I am a relocater too, can't stand to kill anything really. I have a hard time smooshing bugs :ROFL: I think if you just take the animal far enough away they won't bother you again, so that's what I do :help:

12. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Sorry to offend the snake lovers out there. And I figured I would when I posted that this snake was killed. And this snake was not killed because it was feared... it was killed for killing my livestock. I know the snake needs to "eat" as with any animal. But anything that tries to eat my livestock, be it coyotes, foxes, snakes or whatever, will be disposed of. Just being brutally honest here... Not Stupid!
    Sorry again for upsetting anyone over the termination of this snake. :hug:

13. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I for one am not upset at all. I just could never personally kill a snake, but I really don't have a "problem" with anyone else doing what they choose to do as far as that kind of situation goes :hug:

14. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    Well - I'm not scared of snakes - just not comfortable with them - not big on being bitten by them - I've been there, done that, have the scars to prove. I don't go searching for snakes with a stick to randomly kill - if they act like they're going to strike - well I do what I feel I need to. If either one of us can back away without an issue or a bite - that's what happens, if we can't I have reinforcements - and well, my dogs ...they have to eat too.... And while I know this post went off beat this subject could get really off really quick --- I don't see how it's different than killing groundhogs for eating gardens, squashing spiders for being in the barn, killing flies and bees and wasps while they're just doing what it is they do to survive - no sense it getting upset or mad at other people for how they live their lives...the whole carnivore/herbivore/vegetarian thing isn't really fit for a forum.... - as far as for killing livestock - no animal will walk, fly or slither off this farm if they kill another FARM animal ...SO... I'll leave it at that for now...different strokes, different folks...gotta love USA.

Either way - awful big snake, awful cute chicks - sorry you lost one. TC.

15. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I hate snakes, I must say that I love like almost all animals, but snakes are not my thing. Whenever I see one, I kill it, just like any other unwanted things on my land, sorry if that makes anyone mad/sad, but thats how it is here. :shrug:

But anyway. That snake is creeeepy. Never seen one like that, up here theres only bull snakes and gardener snakes.

Oh yes, and cute chickies, love the turkens.

16. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    This is my thread and it is going way of course... I did not want this to turn into a pro vs anti snake debate. So please refrain from any more post in reference to that subject. I respect everyones opinions but I do not want this to get ugly, that was not my intentions.
    Thank you so much! :hug:

17. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I'll start it off. What kind of chicks are those? And how many do you have? I always love baby chicks but I have to say little ducklings steal my heart :love:

18. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Wow!! That is a big snake!! Eeek! :shocked:

19. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Well thanks for asking Chelsey! I just got these chicks last week, had them shipped in from TX.
    We got some Americaunas, Golden Wyandottes, black & red sex-link, all pullets (hens) but they went and added 5 Naked Neck Turkens Roosters to my order for warmth... LOL What am i goingto do with 5 Naked Neck Turken Roosters? :shrug: They are funny looking chicks with no down on their necks or chest. LOL :slapfloor: When I first pulled on out of the box I was like ahh something is wrong with this one, but then I found 4 more like that so i read the invoice sheet and it said 5 Nacked Neck Turkens males added for warmth... LOL

Anyone ever see these Naked Neck Turkens? i am sure they are a great bird, just funny looking! :slapfloor:

20. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I forgot to add we got 12 hens + 5 extra roosters= 17 chicks - 1 that got ate by that big snake!