The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for such a graphic pic but I'm concerned. This is one of my favorite goats. She is about 4 years old a boer cross and has been kept with our buck since April. I just notices she has something around her anus....it almost looks like warts? Does anybody have any advice? Is this normal? Should I be worried? Thanks in advance!!

image-2466589636.jpg

Attachments

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
That's normal. It is hardened grease from the oil glands above her anus. They should come loose and wipe off fairly easy, they will build back up again however.
From that picture she is also bred and will need removed from the buck soon.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Goathiker, I am NOT challenging you here:D! You are clearly one of the most knowledgable people on TGS, but how on earth do you know that!? The pooch test thing just confounds me! What tells you she is bred?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANK YOU!!! That's exactly what I was hoping for!! And I'm also curious about the pooch test. School us please!! :D

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Well, her vulva is elongated and points straight down. An unbred doe's vulva tip points outward. Her tailhead muscles are loosening causing her anus to 'smile' instead of glare. :) I'd guess she's about 3 months along...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, her vulva is elongated and points straight down. An unbred doe's vulva tip points outward. Her tailhead muscles are loosening causing her anus to 'smile' instead of glare. :) I'd guess she's about 3 months along...
That's great to know! Thank you!! :)

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
My daughter calls it Meringue up when a doe is open and Meringue down when bred lol...But the smily is new info for me....so I will teach that to my kids too lol..thank Goathiker...you are a well of interesting facts :D

Ok here is another question on that..how do you know 3 months bred?? Iquiring mind NEED to know..its breeding season around here : )

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
:laugh::crazy: Too, funny

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Thank you Goathiker.:) I have spent a long time looking at pooch test threads without much luck figuring out what is going on. :D if TDG causes you trouble I'll donate my pet bull snake (lives under my house) to your cause.:D

·
Registered
30,614 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Curious question...? Does this happen right after the deed is done, or does it take awhile? Curious because my bucks were found with the does a couple days ago, and I just left them there until tonight, they are now in their pen with new fencing, so I was curious.... Thanks Goathiker:)

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
It takes a couple months to really be noticeable. It's from the pregnancy hormones loosening the muscles and tendons.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
It takes a couple months to really be noticeable. It's from the pregnancy hormones loosening the muscles and tendons.
Okay, well that's good to know:) That helps incase any of them are bred and I can take a look at them sometime in Dec, assuming they don't go into heat... Thanks again:)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My buck keeps trying to mount her...I've seen him chase her around and paw at her for days. She doesn't let him and runs away but if she is bred would he still be trying as hard as he is?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
My buck keeps trying to mount her...I've seen him chase her around and paw at her for days. She doesn't let him and runs away but if she is bred would he still be trying as hard as he is?
That's exactly what's going on with mine.... Same question...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts