The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a neighbor has goats but they are rather wild but extremely healthy and resilient. i was wondering if breeding my doe with their buck would be upbreeding or downbreeding in your opinion? we bred our dairy does with theirs when we had them and had some wonderful and healthy babies.
as of right now i cant afford a buck of my own so my choices are:
*breed her with the nieghbor's buck
*breed her with the herd buck from the farm where i got her
*or not breeding her
i really want to breed her and she was born last january and i dont want to wait til she is an old maid before i get a kid or two and some milk!
:shrug:

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
up breeding is breeding a % doe to a PB buck to increase %'s in kids
Down breeding would basically be crossbreeding

so we'd need to know the breeds to determine which you're doing.

another thing to consider is what are you using the kids for, show, breeding/milk, meat..that's where choosing a buck would come in.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
If you are breeding just to get the doe in milk, then breeding to the neighbor's buck is fine. Or if you are breeding to the neighbor's buck for "healthy and resilient" kids and liked the kids from a past litter then I don't see why not.

If you are trying to get a better kid than the dam or sire then we would need to see photos of both goats to give you our opinion. I am guessing your doe isn't registered?

If she was born last Jan. then you still have A LOT of chances to breed her, but if she is big enough then I can see why you'd want to kid her out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts