*Update* 6-Month old Buckling with Scours--Looking Better

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by tremayne, Jul 21, 2009.

1. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    My daughter's Ober buckling, Tristan, lives at the high school farm. He's been housed with three Boer market wethers, due to shortage of pens. The breeder we got him from told us he shouldn't be eating the meat maker-type feed as the market goats, but since we didn't have any other place for Tristan, he's been in with them.

He's been acting fine, until this morning. My daughter went out to feed and he had sign of scours. She didn't think much of it, so she didn't tell me what was going on. Tonight when we went out to feed, Tristan was off. He looked like he was in pain; his back was hunched, he had diarrhea down his back legs and he cried loudly when we touched him. We put in a call to the breeder and talked to her husband since she's at the ADGA National convention. He thinks Tristan may have coccidiosis and told us to get some Fastrack into him, a penicillin shot and some Banamine if he's in pain. He also said to give him oat hay, no alfalfa for now. Of course this happens at 9:00 at night and we have limited supplies and no access to the school meds. We gave him some Maalox and some baking soda, and will check on him early tomorrow when we can go get the things he needs.

We saw him pee. His chin was wet when we went out, so we assume he had been drinking water. We have no hay or grain in with him until tomorrow. It's just not like him. He's such a friendly little boy and kind of pest for attention. I hate seeing him in distress. Any ideas or advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Anna

Update--Our smelly little boy is looking and acting better. He's had oat hay for the last couple of feedings. Not thrilled about it, but he nibbles at it. He's not been given any grain and has only had a handful of alfalfa and a little fresh Bermuda grass to encourage him to eat. We're going to take him some of the Timothy hay we feed our rabbits for a little extra tonight. It's too expensive here to feed all the time, but we can get Bermuda hay. I think he may have overdosed on grain and had a bad bellyache. His poo is at the "pinecone" stage, so that's better.Thanks to everybody for your help and support. This is the most helpful group of folks anywhere.

Anna

Here's a pic of Tristan.
    [​IMG]

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Re: 6-Month old Buckling with Scours

From Jack Mauldin website:

Coccidiosis
    " Another treatment is with Corid liquid. We mix half Corid and half water and drench with 1cc per 4 lbs for 5 days. Do not mix more than you will use in 3 days."

http://www.jackmauldin.com/diseases.htm

theres lots of info on TGS for cocci. just search it and I'm sure you'll find something.

good luck!!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

treatment is for 5 days with either Albon, Dimethox, Sulmet or Corid.

you can get one of them at a feed store so if the school doesnt have it then go get some.

4. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008

It also may not be cocci, but something even more dangerous like entero, especially if it came on suddenly.

5. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas

Has he been vaccinated for CD/T? Does he look like he has swallowed a softball? Has he lost any weight in his frame? If so. give him a shot of CD antitoxin asap! It won't hurt to do it and cures the overeaters before it poisons and hurts his small intestine. Get it into him as fast as you can, then re-vaccinate in 7 days.

6. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL

I agree with mnspinner on this. There are several other serious things this could be besides cocci, and the fact that he's in pain and has probably been pushed with lots of high in everything grain makes me think it sounds more like entero too. I've lost 2 kids to it and they both presented in nearly the same manner. That would mean he needs the antitoxin ASAP though.Today, can you get a fecal done by a vet? That would probably really help narrow it down. Other parasites cause runny stool too.

I dont think this is what he has but something I noticed:
    Alfalfa for bucklings and wethers isn't always the best forage as it's VERY high in calcium and throws off the calcium to phosperous ratio, which can cause UC or urinary stones. Its very painful. And extremely common. You might try to see if they would use a good grass hay for the bucks and market wethers instead to try to prevent that from forming.

7. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008

Tristan's been vaccinated and his mother was as well, before he was born. Of course, I understand that no immunization is 100% effective in preventing a disease.

He's been in with the wethers for about 2 months and had shown no problems until now. I sincerely hope this isn't enterotoxemia because we don't know enough to handle anything that serious. Would we need to get the anti-toxin from a vet or is it available at a feed/livestock store? If he needs vet care, we'll make sure he gets it. That is, if it's not too late. From everything I've been reading, enterotoxemia is a very rough disease.

I really hope we can get him through this. Thanks for the info re: alfalfa. If it's not good for him, we'll get him some grass hay. There's nice oat and bermuda hay available locally grown.

We're on our way out to the school farm to give him some Di-methox, some liquids, some oat hay and do whatever else we can for our boy.

Thanks, everybody. I'll post updates when we know more.

8. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL

(((hugs))) you're very welcome. You are doing a great job. I know its hard to have one sick. The antitoxin you should be able to purchase from a feed store that sells other goat vaccines and stuff(around here we have some goat friendly stores and somethat arent.) Besides finding out the cause of it, the biggest help you can do is prevent dehydration, and it sounds like you've got that covered, I like using childrens pedialyte, my goats suck down the orange flavor and it's not as sweet as gatorade. Also, if he were to get really dehydrated and you needed to syringe him liquids I've mixed it with baby rice cereal to firm it up a little so it doesnt just run out of thier mouths as easily.

Stick your finger under his lips nad see if is mouth is good a moist, if it's not he is probably getting really dehydrated. If you feel like he needs it, Sometimes IV fluid therapy really helps perk them up and get them going again. Any vet would be able to get an IV in or at least give a little fluid subQ.

Pepto works great for slowing the runs down too. I give 12-20 ccs. You cant really over dose it.
    Keep us informed. Prayers going out.