UPDATE AGAIN lol. Check out these bucks Page 2

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Kfin, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    So there is this really nice Lamancha breeder in the area that has some awsome bucks. And I had planned on using his bucks, but I never can reach him. I send emails, leave messages but nothing.

so I am working on a back up plan. there are really no other Lamancha breeders in this area, so I have been tossing around the idea of getting a buck. But then I have to try and find one before its to late so I can get my girls bred.

:sigh: I just don't know what to do.

I found a Nubian buck for sale local that sounds nice. I have emailed them to just get pictures and information about him.

I don't mind crossing on a Nubian as I really like Nubians.

I do have a place to keep a buck, he would stay in one of our stallion pens that no longer has a stallion in it.

How bad is their stink? I mean can it smell up your entire property, or is it just when you get close to their pens?

I want to breed my girls but seem to be running out of options. Suggestions?
    Or does anyone know of a nice Lamancha or Nubian buck for sale in the Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico area. I don't mind traveling a little ways if I find a really nice one for a good price.

UPDATE: So I found a little Nubian buck that will be in town tomorrow. The what $200 for him. Here is his pictures, the guy said in the one picture his legs look funny but he assured me that his legs are very straight. Its the one with now white on its head.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

His grand sire is here
    http://www.blackmesaranch.com/animals/g ... e_9rio.htm

Is this a good price for this little buck? I was told he will be record grade papers. Or should I keep looking?

2. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Re: Trouble Getting Girls Bred. Should I get a Buck?

I can smell the bucks when I get close to their barn but it's not stinking up the whole property by any means. It's not like you'd be getting a nigerian dwarf that stinks all year long, from what I hear..the bigger breeds only get bad in the fall during breeding season. I say, if you have the place to keep a buck it sure makes breeding season a lot easier so go for it.

3. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    Re: Trouble Getting Girls Bred. Should I get a Buck?

Thanks, thats kind of what I have been thinking. I have had such a hard time just finding a buck to breed the girls to in the area. Well I have been looking and can't seem to find any bucks for sale around here. :(

I am starting to worry about even getting them bred at all. Who would have known it would be so hard to get them bred. apparently goats are a hot item in this area and as soon as one comes on the market its gone right away.

Well anyhow I am looking. So if anyone knows of any please let me know.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
  5. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    Re: Should I get a Buck? UPDATE - What about this Nubian Buc

Thanks Liz, and yes one of those is close by, I sent them an email to see what they have.

6. pelicanacresMN

how old is he? He looks pretty young

7. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX

He was born May 21 so he is almost 5 months. The man said he has been acting bucky like mounting his sister so he was going to seperate them today. I don't know is he even old enough?

I also have another option, there are some purebred Nubians but no papers about 1 hour from here, they are $75. and are 1 1/2 years old. I have not seen them but Have asked for pictures. I really wanted papers but can't seem to find any.

Also there are these boys about 4 hours from me they all have papers and are $100
    Here is their ad on Craigs list
    http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/grd/1997776819.html
    And here is pictures of the bucks on their site:
    http://www.kbarstarqh.com/GoatSalesList.html

8. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX

Oh also he comes from a farm that is CEA and CL free. They pull all babies and bottle raise them and treat the milk fed to the babies. I don't really understand all of that but thats what he told me.

I am still learning about all this CEA and CL stuff.

9. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

For better business I would totally go with a registered young buck rather than one with out papers. Then you could register the babies as half, I think? I know with ABGA (Boer goats) - you can take an unreg. doe, breed with a reg. buck & register the kids.

10. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Ya breeding that young is possible. I had a 4month old successfully breeding does last year.

11. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada

Yep, they can breed pretty young. I really like the little black and white nubian and the price seem fair. I think that I would try to find a lamancha buck though and keep the lamancha pure if possible. I have the same problem because I am so isolated and I may end up keeping my own buck. Good luck. Hope you find something soon so you can breed your girls.

12. pelicanacresMN

For me personally it's very important to have stock from CAE negative tested herds & abscess free--those are some things you don't want to deal with.
    Maybe you should try to put a wanted ad on craigslist for a week or two--you might get a few more local responses.
    Your lamanchas look pretty decent, I think you should keep trying to find a registered lamancha buck or at least stick with a registered Nubian since they seem to catch your interest.

13. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX

I was going to get a Lamancha but I found out after I got my girls papers, two of them are not pure Lamancha, they are part Nubian anyhow. So I thought that since I love the looks of the Nubian I would go for a Nubian, plus next year I am getting a pure Nubian, also the Nubians are just easier to find. There are NO Lamanchas at all that i can find. So I don't know, I am still looking.

14. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada

Part nubian, eh? they took on the Lamancha ears... I know what you mean. In my area Nubians and Boers are the most common breeds to find. The Nubians do have the puppy dog look about them and I think that is what attracts people at first. They do have great tasting milk too. I love the Nubians and that is what I raised in the past but I thought I'd try a different breed this time around. although I did have one little Lamancha that I adored. I am getting a few grade alpines and possibly a Saanen. I think the Nubian is a little more tempermental than the other breeds and also I don't think they handle the cold as well as the swiss breeds. But really, you have to get what appeals to you and of course healthy.

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

someone correct me if im wrong but I dont think you can register bucks as recorded grade. So even though that little nubian looks fairly decent I dont think you are getting the whole story about his registration. Unless I saw actual papers and could take them home with me I would not buy him on the assumption that he could be registered recorded grade.

plus where are the pictures of his dam's udder? very important to have those pictures or go and see her in person

16. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX

They are mostly Lamancha, Panda is 5% Nubian and Posha is 15% Nubian. Padme is 100% Lamancha though.

I have decided to pass on the little Nubian buck. I just was not fully comfortable with him. I kind of would like to have a for sure papered buck for $200.

I am still looking. I would buy a Lamancha buck if I could find one. I could even buy one of the guy here he has some awsome Lamancha bucks for sale, If I could ever get in touch with him. But then I would not need a buck I could just breed my girls to his bucks.

I have gotten one reply to an email about a month ago, but nothing since then. I left a message again last night, but I doubt I will hear anything from him.

I could go back to the lady I bough my girls from, but have since heard some horror stories about her and now I am scared to go back there. And I don't mean horror stories about her goats, I mean something like out of a movie, another goat lady went there a few weeks ago and she thought she was going to be murdered, a guy that was on her place tried to choke her and then tossed her over his shoulder and carried her a ways cussing her out. and the lady that I got my girls from just aged him on. Scary stuff. The cops where called and I don't know if she ever pressed charges, but the cop tolled her she should, because she was assaulted.

Anyhow my husband said I can't go there without him at all, and even then he does not want to go back. So I have kind of just crossed her off the list.

Darn if only I could just reach Cash Farms :sigh:

17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
  18. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX

They are about 3 1/2 hours from me. But they don't have anything for sale now.

I have a question, do the ship goat semen like they do horse semen? Then I could just ship some in and get my. Vet to inseminate my girls.

19. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

If you mean in a little liquid nitro tank then yes they do ship it like horse semen :) But if your girls haven't been bred before your success rate may be low, its harder to inseminate 'virgins' than it is does who have kidded before.

20. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX

Ok thanks that marks that out then.
    I will keep looking. Thanks for everyones input. :)