The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't refer to our dear Ellie as the dumped goat but on here it's a way for everyone to identify to her story.... That said - here are a couple pix of the babies at 2 weeks - we are bottle feeding the runt (Tiny) who was completely rejected. He spends most days out in the pen supervised with siblings - although Ellie cannot be trusted and has pushed and even gone up on her haunches to stomp him a couple times. He is now 4 lbs up from 1.05 at birth.
A couple questions - a recommended party will be coming this week to talk about disbudding as we still are uncertain about it. Any thoughts?

Also - we have placed the buckling with white ears (largest of the 3) at a family farm when he is ready to go. At what age is safe for him to go? I've read 8 weeks and 12 weeks - which is quite a spread. We will not be banding or disbudding him since their other goats are intact.

As always thanks for the experienced replies!

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
They are so handsome! 😍
So good that Tiny can spend most of his day with the others. I hope Ellie stops trying to stomp on him!

For weaning, 3 months is recommended.
I don’t have advice about disbudding.
Male kids are usually only left intact if they are going to be used for breeding. In my opinion it would be best if he was neutered before leaving. Intact bucks have a stressful life and often spend a lot of time fighting each other. Wethers can live with bucks or does and are much calmer with even temperaments, since they don’t have the hormones surging through them.
If he is starting to extend his penis, he can get mom or sister pregnant.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
They are so cute! Congratulations. I’m so glad you took this goat in and are taking such good care of her and her babies.

I bought my goats at 10 weeks (and they did not take a bottle, so that’s when they were weaned). It worked fine but I think 12 weeks would be even better.

I don’t know if I missed it, but are they all bucklings? That could influence when to band and/or separate them.

Disbudding seems to depend on the goat owner. Some prefer it, some don’t. For me, I have dairy goats so mine are disbudded and I’ll likely continue to disbud future generations.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,098 Posts
Those kids may be polled. At 2 weeks of age, usually the horns have started to break the skin. (Average is 4-10 days) I can't zoom a picture with this laptop, so can't get a close up to check for swirls. I also don't see horn bumps on either of them. Alyce those are some nice looking kids, real flashy markings on all of them.

Please just at least consider the pros and cons of banding the bucklings. Possibly a wether could potentially be a herd mate for Ellie?

With the white eared one: even though the other male goats are intact at the farm that wants him, adult bucks can be nasty and brutal towards a new male being brought into the herd no matter the age of the new buck.. Him being such a young buckling, they will try to beat the snot out of him to put/keep him as the lowest ranking member and his safety may be at risk. X? number of adult bucks and/or younger buckling herd members against 1 new weanling buckling being introduced could be a disaster waiting to happen.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are so cute! Congratulations. I’m so glad you took this goat in and are taking such good care of her and her babies.

I bought my goats at 10 weeks (and they did not take a bottle, so that’s when they were weaned). It worked fine but I think 12 weeks would be even better.

I don’t know if I missed it, but are they all bucklings? That could influence when to band and/or separate them.

Disbudding seems to depend on the goat owner. Some prefer it, some don’t. For me, I have dairy goats so mine are disbudded and I’ll likely continue to disbud future generations.
Thank you! The one with the speckled ears is a doe - the other two are both bucklings. If I keep them together until 12 weeks is it possible to have more kids? Because as much as we are enjoying this experience we can't have more kids!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those kids may be polled. At 2 weeks of age, usually the horns have started to break the skin. (Average is 4-10 days) I can't zoom a picture with this laptop, so can't get a close up to check for swirls. I also don't see horn bumps on either of them. Alyce those are some nice looking kids, real flashy markings on all of them.

Please just at least consider the pros and cons of banding the bucklings. Possibly a wether could potentially be a herd mate for Ellie?

With the white eared one: even though the other male goats are intact at the farm that wants him, adult bucks can be nasty and brutal towards a new male being brought into the herd no matter the age of the new buck.. Him being such a young buckling, they will try to beat the snot out of him to put/keep him as the lowest ranking member and his safety may be at risk. X? number of adult bucks and/or younger buckling herd members against 1 new weanling buckling being introduced could be a disaster waiting to happen.
Thank you! We will be banding the buckling we are keeping so he can be a buddy for Ellie (even though he is the one she rejected) and we are also keeping the doe.
I will definitely do my homework with the farm that is taking him - I think they all have separate quarters but will find out. Not sure if he should be separated all the time either. Thank you for this advice.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,098 Posts
It's wonderful news and a great idea to check out the farm before hand. And you are correct with your concerns regarding a weanling living solo. They get terribly lonely and having a companion his own size or approximate age is necessary in most all cases. And you are certainly welcome. Please, if you don't mind, would you let us/me know if the kids are polled or not. Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's wonderful news and a great idea to check out the farm before hand. And you are correct with your concerns regarding a weanling living solo. They get terribly lonely and having a companion his own size or approximate age is necessary in most all cases. And you are certainly welcome. Please, if you don't mind, would you let us/me know if the kids are polled or not. Thanks.
I have been praying they are polled but we should be so lucky! I can't tell - I even watched a video on how to tell. There are defenite bumps there but nothing has come through the skin. I will let you know!

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,098 Posts
I have been praying they are polled but we should be so lucky! I can't tell - I even watched a video on how to tell. There are defenite bumps there but nothing has come through the skin. I will let you know!
They could be a giraffe poll, all they would ever have are those small bumps without growing horns. Fingers crossed for you and the little ones.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello! We found out today that not only is Ellie (giraffe) polled but so are 2 of the 3 kids !!!!! Both bucks are also polled. At least our goat expert is 99% sure - so we made the decision to disbud the doeling which was very quick. I hope we made the right decision but with 6 grandkids rollin around with them for the next several years we feel safer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts