update from Sunset Lake Ranch, ID

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by kelebek, May 27, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I just wanted to give you all an update.

I usually check in daily, but I have not been posting as much lately, and for that I am sorry..... but I always check to see who is kidding and what you all are up to.

So for the latest news.

I am still waiting on my first registered kids to be born. It was an accidental breeding before I bought Ginger - but it is all good. They should be very colorful kids. She is uddering up - but at my friends (who I bought her from) until kidding as we don't know when she was bred for sure so we were hesitant to move her.

I have 1 pygmy due the beginning of July
    2 registered does beginning of August
    2 Boer x does in August
    1 pygmy due late august early sept
    1 registered doe due early sept

THEN - oh gosh - here is the latest. I sold the colt that was born in April - so he will be weened no later then the end of September then he is going to Montana, BUT we got into Barbados sheep also.

I am not sure how many of you all know but my husband was diagnosed last January (07) with Diabetes. He is 39 years old and his blood sugar was above 500 (should be at 100). Anyway they tried to put him on insulin and oral meds, which the insulin lasted all of about 2 months. He was not happy with giving himself injections. So we got him to a "good" doctor once we had insurance (july 07) and have him off of the insulin and on 2 different types of oral meds. In turn he is also on heart meds for high blood pressure, meds for high tryglicerides (sp), and another med that I can't think of off hand.

We started to notice a difference when we changed his diet to almost no carbs/sugar, lots of protien and veggies and then oral meds - but not quite exactly where we would like it. So then we started looking at organic meat with no preservatives or antibiotics. Well this helped like you would not believe - put the price is rediculous in the stores. So we decided to "raise" our own meat.

So we bought a couple Boer/dairy cross does and a boer buck for meat kids. Now we also bought a small herd of Barbados sheep. We have our lead Ram, 5 breeder ewes and 2-6 month old rams (which will be used for the first meat). We are hoping to get a couple calves in the fall for beef. We are also hoping to get our chicken coup built shortly for fresh eggs and possibly a pig.

I am actually quite excited about all of this - but there is alot of work to be done! I will keep you posted!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wonderful updat! love to hear from people even if they are to busy to respond to individual posts.

Thats great that you have his diabeties dietary controlled. My cousin has type 1 diabeties and he has this pump thing that automatically gives him insulin. He actually faugh having it and prefered the needles :shrug: but now he seems to like it.

Anyway it must feel good that you are going to be able to be self sufficent in some ways.

now do you have to feed the sheep and goats organic feed to get the same results with the meat or do you think that it won't matter that much and still be a great help to his health??

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I got into Boers because I wanted to raise my own meat- animals that were well treated and healthy. I picked goats becasue I don't have enough land for cattle and I have never been fond of sheep personalities. I thought I wouldn't have the heart to do in a rabbit myself.
    How did I know that I would fall in love with goaties- oh well. At least I don't have to do the in myself.
    I found that avoiding corn and wheat and eating mostly eating eggs and meat and some vegetables and fruits (mostly berries) I felt a lot better. I didn't at first particularly like goat although I loved lamb but now, since I have run out of goat meat, I bought some lamb (good local lamb not australian.) I was very surprised to find that I now really prefer goat meat as it is nowhere near as fatty as lamb. Boohoo- I can't have it for awhile.

I've heard that Barbados sheep are better than many other lamb meats.

Good luck on your managerie.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    We looked into different breeds of meat, and we were told that Barbados were by far the best, and then there was one other breed that they said were good to - but to try Barbados. I personally LOVE lamb meat.... but I spent time overseas!

Kids are not to happy over the situation - but oh well - they will eat or go hungry. We already have our son convinced that he ate goat burgers and couldn't tell the difference (yet he really hasn't - LOL!). They said that everyday when they come home they are going to count heads before dinner - LOL! But they tend to forget to look out there as they never go out to the pen.

We are feeding a local grass hay that has no pesticides or anything and the browse a bit also in the pens. But, about 2-4 weeks before we ship off to butcher, we will be sweet graining them.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well thats awesome. I one day want to raise my own meat --- I think.

It would have to be a separate herd i dont handle and not see them buchard and I will be ok

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    That is the nice thing about this particular herd of sheep that we bought, is that they are W-I-L-D!!! Like really wild. That helps dramatically for me. I plan on catching all the babies when they are born and maybe even bottle feeding a couple ewelings (not sure if that is the right word - haha - but you know what I mean) so that I can tame down a couple of them, and then we will "swap" the herd for the nicer girls.

Now the meat goats are what I will have a hard time with, but I plan on not being around them much unless they are doelings so that I can raise them for meat breeders, but the boys are definately meat.

We also have someone lined up that we "drop off" live animals, and come back a week later to pick up wrapped meat. Woo-Hoo! That will make it alot easier also. I told hubby that he has to drop off the animals as I can not do it!

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Allison, it's really great that the 2 of you found what works best in control af diabetes...I lost my dad at 50 years old to complications of liver disease and diabetes...we fought long and hard trying to get it under control to no avail.
    Advice to you on pigs...make sure you get 2!! I raised an orphan and named her Piggles(wrong to do...food doesn't have a name! lol) Well I didn't have any problem eating her after she tree'd me on the porch railing! Apparantly she saw me as mom and wanted to play...I don't take kindly to being chased and bitten! As an only pig she was spoiled...the only way I got her to eat from a week old was to mix dry dog food with goats milk and soften it...this pig never had to compete for food so she chose to eat when and what she wanted...would not touch pig grower or pellets. even corn! The day we hauled her to the slaughterhouse she chased me to the trailer where hubby had a plank for her to go up...dog food and milk waiting for her. Needless to say..that was the leanest too dry pork I ever had! SO GET 2 PIGGIES! :ROFL: