UPDATE Help Injured Leg from Knee Down

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Zach08, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Zach08

Zach08 New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    SEE LATEST POST My wether (Pancho) has a bad case of ear mites and have been treating for about a week with NU-STOCK which is an all purpose mite killer for dogs, cats, goats, and cows. The mites seem to be getting better but are not gone yet. This morning i woke up and was feeding him and he is moving very slow and is limping. There is no scrap, lesion, or cut from what i can tell and he shows no pain when i put pressure on the leg. It is his front right leg. Do ear mites cause weakness or limping? I laid him down and he acted as if he could not get up due to weakness in his legs or leg. I am very new to goats and am very worried but i don't even know where to start. He is not running around and moving around like he was two days ago, and move with a general slowness and just doesn't seem to have any energy. Thanks for all your help in advance! My email is [email protected] if you would rather email.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Please Help Ear Mites and Weakness in Legs

Check his hooves, between the toes as well as under the dew claws... see if theres any irritations there, scabbing, oozing etc. Also check for any areas on the sole of the hoof and heel that may be sensitive.

Be sure he continues eating and drinking, provide him lotas of good hay and water, if he loses his appetite, there are other ways to help him.

BTW,,,WELCOME!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

No worries there... mites can't cause leg pain...

Is he getting loose salt and minerals for goats?

Do you think he may of got slammed?

Is his knee swollen?

What are you feeding him?

Is he peeing?

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

How his coloring, eye membranes.....mites can cause anemia, don't know about ear mites.

5. Zach08

Zach08 New Member

Jan 10, 2011

His coloring is normal, he has yellow mucus around his eyes, but thats not completely out of the ordinary. He is looking his hair on the back of his ears where the ear mites are but im told that is a symptom caused by the ear mites. Whats anemia? Thanks again

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Anemia is when ...bugs...mites... lice ect....suck the blood from it's host....

look at the inner eye color... by pulling out the eye lid or looking at the gum color... if it is white or light pink...that is anemic...if it is good darker pink... to a red... that is good....
    This will help....
    http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/

7. Zach08

Zach08 New Member

Jan 10, 2011

Hi thanks for your response. I am new to all this so i don't know what loose salt and minerals are so please explain sorry. Um if you mean slammed by another goat that is a possibility, his female counterpart (lefty) often likes to play and butt heads with him. These are very young goats though they were born in October 2010 and are pygmy goats. His knee is not swollen and does not appear to be damaged and is not sensitive to pressure. I am feeding him standard goat pellets that i bought at tractor supply with no additives. He is peeing. Thanks again for your help.

8. Zach08

Zach08 New Member

Jan 10, 2011

ok i will check as soon as i get home, thanks for your help and stay tuned :)

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Your welcome...
    Loose salt and minerals is a vitamin suppliment that goats need ...to stay healthy it is something they need...get one that is marked for goats...it is made properly for goats and has extra copper in it that goats need...if you have sheep though it will kill the sheep... it comes in a bag ....you get it from the feed store... It should be out free choice along with Baking soda....

Goats do slam each other at feeding time and sometimes they do hit ...in the wrong spot where it hurts... it could be bruised and may be higher like the shoulder area....

Does the pellets have anything to prevent urinary stones?

Are you feeding any hay...goats need roughage to help their rumen....

10. Zach08

Zach08 New Member

Jan 10, 2011

Is there a brand name for the loose salt and minerals i should be looking for? And how much should i give them? The pellets do not have anything to prevent urinary stones that i am aware of. I am feeding hay. I just find it odd that two days ago this goat was like the definition of healthy.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

How many goats do you have? If you have just a few maybe put out a 1/2 a cup...of it.... and refill as needed...
    I hear alot of breeders here... talk about sweetlix.... I use Purina goat minerals ...but ....it doesn't really matter...as long as... it is strictly for goats..... get the loose salts and minerals....don't let... them talk you into the blocks...I find the goats can lick and chew at the block ...all day... and still... not get out of it ...what they need..... :wink:

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

The tractor supply here carries Manna Pro goat minerals...thats what I give mine. Set it out in a dish or wall mounted feeder for them to access it as they want. Also, it has added ammonium chloride in it to help prevent urinary calculi(stones)

If he was totally normal then went lame...is there anything he could have jumped from or got his foot caught in?

13. Zach08

Zach08 New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    UPDATE Please Help Ear Mites and Weakness in Leg

Upon further inspection, i found that his left front leg is swollen from the knee down. It is indeed sensitive to touch and movement. I moved his right leg and it was fine, but when i moved the left leg in the same way he screamed at the top of his lungs. So now i have narrowed it down to his knee joint. but i don't know what to do...any new suggestions? He must have fallen and injured it some how. I will definitely be going to get the loose salts and minerals tomorrow thanks for everybody's response and what should i do about the leg?

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ouch poor baby....make sure... he stays calm...and stays off of it.. as much as possible...no marathons... :wink: ...can you.... or do you have... banamine... it will help with the pain and swelling....don't give it any sooner than every 36 hours.....and only as needed.... can you wrap it....with it being the knee area... it needs support.... just make sure... by using vet wrap ...that you don't put it on to tight...it will cut off circulation....

15. Zach08

Zach08 New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Thank you so so much for your response. I realize this thread has kind of been all over the place. Where can i buy banamine and a vet wrap? Thanks.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Banamine .. is by a vet.....and vet wrap... is cheaper to get ...from a feed store..... :wink:

17. Zach08

Zach08 New Member

Jan 10, 2011

thanks! i guess my little guy will be going to the vet so i can get some banamine! and ill be making another trip to the feed store haha thanks ill keep ya posted on progress

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California