Update: Not so spotty!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by OhCee, Mar 25, 2010.

1. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    I found a black, AGS Nigerian buckling with moonspots and BLUE eyes :laugh:

Oh my goodness, Tim will kill me but I WAAAAANNNNNNTTTTTTT him :wahoo:

Will get pics up when I'm out of classes today haha...

Do you know the genetic dominance of Moonspots? Care to share personal experiences with breeding with one moon spotted parent?

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ok, so it didn't turn out with the buckling, and the doe I was looking at wasn't at all excited to be touched, BUT her full-sister from this year (whereas she was from last year) is almost her carbon copy, but with white markings instead of moonspots. She's super sweet! And she's 2 months old, but she wasn't taken away from mom before yesterday, so I'm looking into buying some milk from someone around here to bottle feed her :)

Pics to come...

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: I'm seeing SPOTS

Not positive about the genetics BUT I have had kids born with moon spots and none are visible on the parents. Can't wait to see your prospective new boy!

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

Hehehe... uh-oh... sounds like you've caught "the bug" LMBO..... goaty obsession is so hard to overcome! :)
    Moonspots are supposed to be expressed in 50% of the offspring... however there are always exceptions to the rule. :) There are also ghost spots... when a kid carries the gene but it is hidden under the white so not visible... these goats will still produce moonspots even though they don't "show" on the animal. One of my bucks has ghost spots.... most of his body is white... yet he keeps producing moonspotted kids from different dams. :)

4. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009

Bad you...

how many bucks you gonna own? lol

I have a moon spot doe, poka. And last year was her first year being bred [I think, first year with me for sure] and she had a moonspotted doeling. This year she had a moonspot buckling and a moonspot doeling. All three have had more moonspots then her. And my buck had no moonspots.

Though my buck had a black buckling this year that has a odd spot in his color, almost looks like a moonspot but Im not sure yet. And it seemed to appear after birth. So you never know maybe my buck has something going on why Poka had all moonspot kids.

5. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT

Uhhhhhhh :ponder: 3?

See, I figure it's all good if we have two registered nigie bucks, 2 unreg nigie girls, a nubian/boer/alpine doe and buck, and then I just have to get a couple registered does when we move... and we'll be SET! :D Plus, moving 5 babies and a yearling doe will be simpler than moving a bunch of big goaties...

6. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009

LOL

You think to much like me. LOL

Cant wait to see pics. Ooo and I could see him in person If I go see Alice.

7. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT

You should come see Alice!!! And you can look at DoubleStuf too...

I haven't gotten a response from the people yet, but I just contacted them today, so we shall see!

Never underestimate the power of rationalization :D

8. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009

I wanna, but then Ill have to bring doublestuf home cause Ill be in LOVE lol

9. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT

Haha! Not til she's done being a Mommy :D

10. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT

Ok, so they actually sold that buck :( BUT I found the exact same qualities in a doe :D

Here's pics:
    2 weeks
    [​IMG]

10 months
    [​IMG]

She's 10 months old, black, one large moonspot under her right rear leg, and she has blue eyes! AGS registered, too!

I'm going to go pick her up tomorrow :love:

11. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009

I think your feeling the addiction. LOL

She is cute though. I like the dark colors on the blue eyes. Its flashy. :)