Update on Colt

Discussion in 'Other Animals For Sale' started by kelebek, May 2, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thought you all might enjoy this - I will take pics later!

Well, my little colt in doing awesome that was born on the 20th. He is no longer yellow in the eyes, no scours anymore, and just a spit and fire boy!

The other day I saw that he had learned how to buck! It was so cute - he was running back and forth through the pasture as fast as his legs could carry him and then he would start bucking around. THEN last night, I noticed that he learned how to slide stop, although he didn't really start stopping in time and ran into momma! LOL!

So I took feed out last night - put the hay in the blue plastic bin and filled the grain bucket. I then was petting mom a bit and giving her her treats. Usually the colt will lick the treats and kind of suck on them. So I walked over to him he took a couple licks - spun around - KICKED ME WITH BOTH HOOVES and took off running again. I stood there not realizing at first what had happened - :scratch: Then the PAIN came! :tears: :tears: :tears: I stood there for about 10-15 minutes trying not to cry. He got me on the right leg from the front, wrapped all the way around the inside of my thigh 1/2 way between my knee and hip. I think I was pretty lucky as it wasn't straight on on the bone. And I swear he was laughing at me :cry:

So I hobbled back to the house, put the wheelbarrow away, and climbed the stairs to the house still debating on wether to tell hubby what happened or not. I walked in and he could see I was fighting tears and asked what happened - so I told him and we went in the bedroom so I could drop my drawers and assess the damage. OH MY it was aweful and bruised already and it had only been 20 minutes max. THEN he LAUGHED his butt off! :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: Now that was SOOO uncalled for!

So we went back out to the living room so that I could sit down for a minute and we looked out at the pasture at him and he was tearing around the pasture now kicking his mom's plastic hay feeder tub. What a booger!!!! :veryangry:

When I went out (limping badly) this morning the first thought was - he better not come near me and I can't wait till he is old enough for the round pen - because I WILL get him back! LOL! I will have my revenge.

I just really can not believe how much strength he has in those legs at not even 2 weeks old!!! I am supposed to get hay this weekend and buck bales - yah like that is going to happen now - I was supposed to start the colt on a halter - yah that is a funny thought - and I was going to try to get on my 4 year old Quarter to see if she truely is rideable - yah uh huh! LOL! We will see!

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Wow!I can't wait to see pics of him.They are strong when they are little for their size!LOL Hope the pain starts to go away soon.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    What a naughty boy! :shocked:

I would get on teaching him some manners asap.(once your leg is better)

I know how embarrassing it is to be kicked. :oops:

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Allison, in all honesty, my hubby would have reacted the same exact way! The little guy sounds very healthy and happy to me and lets hope his oats aren't as wild when you get that halter on him!

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Well - that was unfortunate- that was not any accident- you were right -he was laughing thinking what fun.
    Most foals give that a try which is why it is good to work around them in a smaller area where the results of that choice are not so happy. My filly made the mistake of kicking the trainer I had up to help me with her- bad choice - that lady has been around baby horses for ages- she responded very fast and it never happened again. The trainer tought it was funny too- but she also thought my baby was a pansy- she deals with arabs and thought my foxtrotter was a pushover.
    But I also had several discussions with her, teachering her to face me. Face me everything's great, put the butt to me and ----------------

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Needless to say we bought the training "whip" today that the horse forum suggested. Obviously mom knew exactly what it was, but the baby WAS behaving tonight so he didn't get to learn what it is tonight and how NOT to behave, but since I am going to start halter breaking tommorrow, I have a feeling he will get to learn :)

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Using a whip sounds so horrible to non-horse people but it is 99% the surprise that you (the magical human) can reach them so far away. In the decades I have had horses, I can remember using a whip for more than a sudden tap only 4 times- once with a horse that kept rearing up in a stall and coming down on me and the other three times were escalating taps when the lighter touchs were ignored. Never have I ever even come close to beating a horse although I have seen it done. And it was always done because the rider lost her temper and self-control, not to teach a horse anything.
    You are doing him a favor by teaching him manners early when he will really learn to respect people- a horse who is agressive or dangerous has a very hard time finding a home- even being treated by a vet or trimmed by a farrier.
    I firmly believe that speed of response is the key- you can even miss them and have an effect if it is fast enough. Just so they learn that certain things have a consequence that in not fun at all.
    I spent time with almost every horse I've had in the last 20 years in a smaller area teaching them to face me always- if they turn their butts to me, then I move them on, when they turn to face me, they get to rest (and with babies, get scratched and entertained). I've never had a horse that couldn't figure out my agenda very fast. Everything else seems to follow naturally after that.

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    He sure sounds like a stinker, I hope your leg gets better soon, I've been rammed by a buck so I couldn't imagine what getting kicked by a horse feels like. :)

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Just wanted to let you all know that I have sold my little colt - I found the perfect family for him! They have 2 other horses and have lots of land in Montana. They have 3 young children and they are going to be in 4-H.

Cool thing is is that when they came to look at the colt, they also said that they were interested in a couple goaties for the kids for their projects for this coming year.

I am so excited.

Allison

10. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Now that's my kind of family- horses and goats. He should have a blast. Are they going to take him when he's weaned?

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    yes - only after he is weened, about 3-4 months till he leaves. By the time he is ready to go all my babies will be born for the year so if wanted they can pick out a couple!!! I am so excited for his new home!

Allison

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    That is great news!! :thumb:

13. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Darn. :sigh: Oh well, I might be getting a 2 year old for free! (if I decide I like him) Let us know how it goes! And I still want to see some updated piccies every now and again.

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Of course Crissa -

I am sorry that we had to go ahead and sell him, but really you can get a horse for the same price or cheaper close to you and not have to worry about transport - the gas alone would have cost you more then the cost of the horse :)

Free horses are sometimes the best because then everything you have goes towards them and not to purchasing! Just make sure it is what they tell you (as far as rideability and what not) as I was told my 4 year old was rideable and there is absolutely NO WAY!!!

15. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Yeah I know, but it still would have been nice to get him. :sigh: But I'm fixing to see some pictures of the horse I might be getting. I gave Thor to these people and they decided that since they were already giving the horse away I could have it. And no it's not broke but I already ride a "bombproof" horse and I want something I can work with. I know, I'm nuts. :shrug:

But I'm happy that your colt is going to a good home! You are keeping his mom right? Are you ever going to breed her again? (sorry I love that mare. LOL)

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I doubt that I would ever breed her again. She came to me pregnant and honestly - it was a bit scary to me. The only way that I would ever breed her again is if it was a planned pregnancy and there was a contract for the baby at the time of conception. And it would be at least 2 - 3 years minimum down the road. I want to get mom in "prime' condition and rideable before I think of possibly breeding her.

There are just so many horses out there right now that are on the "slaughter train to mexico" that it just kills me. Kind of like the dogs and cats in the shelter.

Anyway - I hope that you find your perfect fit!

~ Allison