update on doe with copper def.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by alyssa_romine, Aug 13, 2008.

1. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    As some of you have read from my posts under copper bolus, i have a doe with a copper deficiency. Her fur was curly on the ends and was reddish. I started her a week ago on copper sulfate drenches and I am happy to report that her hair is turning back to a shiny black and is straightening back out. This is only after 1 week of dosing! So this stuff DOES work! :wahoo:

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    That is great news! Sorry I didn't reply to you on the other thread, I had forgotten about that, but results are usually seen pretty fast(as you have seen) but it is important to do the whole treatment as suggested on the website, 2x a day for one week, rest a week, repeat another week, rest 2 weeks, then another week at half dose.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    so did she shed out or did her current hair actually change colors? :? I cant see that as being possible (coming from a sudo hair expert) so I want to know

4. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Stacey: a copper deficient goat's coat gets a red tint to it when their copper levels get so low, their har will turn out on the ends too. She hasnt shed out, her hair is getting copper back into it through the treatment.

Goathappy: its ok....I am on the resting point now, I made a chart that has the dosage rate, am and pm so all I have to do is check it off when i treat her.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    see what I know about hair is that once it is out of the body what you see is what you got, nothing can change that unless you color it or whatever. No matter what you eat or injest etc will nto change the hair that has already grown out of the body --- that hair is dead. The only living hair is the hair inside the body. Dead hair can not be changed by diet. That is why months after a person has stopped drugs they can still tell by testing the hair that they did the drugs.

6. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    oh wow! All i know is that her coat is going back to normal now and i havent noticed her shedding. That is interesting, It makes me wonder.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Goats are always shedding hair - hence the hairs in my milk each morning grrr. And I would think that it would quicky replace the hair that isnt healthy with healthy hair. It just seems logical :shrug:

8. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    you might be right but i am like you ... :shrug: i just dont have a clue, but it is working however it is doing it. :wahoo: