Update on Fire -

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by kelebek, Nov 3, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Fire is my Nubian doeling that I found hanging by her neck 2 weeks ago that I nursed back to health - well yesterday I went out and took a look at her leg again as I noticed that she is not putting full weight on that leg that she filet open.

I thought that maybe her leg was out of socket at the shoulder. I started palpating everywhere and it all felt normal. I went down her leg and looked at all the wounds healing and what not - to find that one was not healing - it is infected.

I had had her on the 5 days of Pen - but I think that I am going to go purchase the LA-200 tonight. She is a May 08 baby - so 6 months old, NOT bred, other then the leg - in good health. I would say that she is about 50 pounds.

Do you think that this is an appropriate choice or should I just put her back on Pen? I would like to get her healthy so that i can breed her in january.

Thanks

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I thought that LA-200 was a better respiratory antibiotic? I'm sure it doesn't matter either way. . . . it does sting though. I've never used it but have it on hand. I don't think we'll ever use it. But, maybe the Pen is not working? Maybe get a more accurate weight on her (we've used measuring tape around the heart girth and converted using Fiasco Farm website). That way you know you're dosing correctly. Just a small thought.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I only did the Pen for 5 days, and it has been 14 days since the accident. So I am not sure if I should try another round of Pen first......

hmmmm...... so confused but want to get it under control.

Suggestions???

4. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    When the top of my Cutie Pie's head got infected from her scratching- i washed it with peroxide, and dressed with neosporin. I gave her pen. and cleaned it everyday with a first aid liquid with lidocaine to keep it from hurting too bad. I gues I'd try to just keep it clean. can they get immune to pen????

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    yes, anything/anyone can build up a tolerance to any type of medications. I am just so cautious on giving anything if I don't have to - but I NEED to give her something.

Maybe I will try another round of Pen and see how that goes. Thank goodness it is cold here and the flies are not out anymore.... can't handle that!

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would go with the Pen G for at least 7 days and a hefty dose of it.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I was dosing her at 1 cc per 10 pounds previously and dosed her at 60 pounds - should I go higher then that?

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Were you doing once or twice a day?

She prob weighs more than that... but it's hard to tell. I don't have any nubians. :shrug: I know my full grown Nigerian milker weighs at least 80lbs.

Edit:
    Oh and not to be gross, but is there puss coming out of the wound? I'm guessing it's open. If you can i would try putting hot/warm Epsom salt compresses on the wound or soaking it. Also I would try and squirt some watered down iodine right into the wound

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yes, it is open. I pulled the scab off yesterday to take a look at it. I am going to start flushing it again. I was giving it twice a day SQ.

Most of my Full Grown Nigerians are acually bigger and heavier then she is. She is a petite little thing. She is from very slow growing lines (same with the buck that I am breeding her to).

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Hmm.. that dosage usually works for me. I would try giving it again(at the dosage you were giving it) and if she shows no improvement or gets worse then I would switch to something else.

I hope that works and that she gets better. looks like we both have some lame goats to care for. :sigh:

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yah, if she doesn't "heal" to where it doesn't bother her - I will get her to a pet home and not breed her. I think it would be to much weight on that leg if I were to breed her and she is not weight bearing on it.

I only gave it for 5 days last time - so that is probobly why it didn't work all the way - probobly should have given it longer because of the wound.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If penG has not worked for 5 days ....I would definitely change to another antibiotic.....

Liquamycin®
    LA-200® Oxytetracycline OTC Cattle
    Swine Pneumonia, shipping fever complex, foot rot, bacteria enteritis, wound infections, acute metritis, and pinkeye

this is where ...I got the info on LA 200....I am not sure on the dosage though...because I do not use it....but if you prefer using ....some other antibiotic...go for it.... :)

http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/an ... table.html

With the wound .....I hate to say............you are going to have to scrub.....all of the infection out of the wound......it has to be cleaned all the way down until you actually get red nice healthy tissue .......you have to get all the yuck and smell out or just flushing will not help....you will just be treating the ewww stuff..........then I would flush with diluted iodine ..dab it dry....and then pack with.... NEOSPORIN® Do this daily 2x a day.......until you get ...no more smell of rotten flesh ickies............I am not sure about wrapping it....because ... it traps in the bad stuff..... and brews more germs....if it is on top of the pastern area...and you can keep her in a clean spot ........I would maybe leave it open... to drain better..........
    After a few days ...and it doesn't smelling bad any more .....I would maybe check it every other day ...flush it dab it dry..and re-put in NEOSPORIN® 1x a day..for a couple of every other days...if all is going well.....then go every so often...always try to keep it ....as clean as possible......
    I know it will be painful for you and the goat .....but it has to be done..... :hug:

Just trying to help with a faster and a full recovery,,,I know I am not a vet ....but this is what I have done in the past for infection.....to fight it and win......

what does everyone else think about it??? I love to hear your input to....thanks :) :pray:

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    That definately sounds like what I was doing - but stopped. I worked in vet med for 8 years - so yes that is correct.

I think I just didn't follow through as long as I probobly should have. I think the infection just started probobly over the weekend as it really is not "aweful" but it is not good either

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yep.....Allison....I know the feeling .......have done a early stop on treatment.... in the past.... but have learned my lesson....now I do follow through every time........ it takes alot of patience ....time....and putting up with a very unhappy animal...........it looks like your going to have to start over again?.......good luck......and I hope and pray she will mend back to a full recovery..... :pray: :) I feel for you......:hug:

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yah, I think that she will recover - at least I am praying that she does!!!!

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    me to Allison....... :pray:

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    well I scrubbed it out real well tonight untill I really made it bleed. It is actually almost healed and seemed like just the top layer was infected - so that was good. Gave her a huge dose of Pen and will repeat in the morning and continue for minimum 7 days twice a day. She was a little tender on it once I scrub it but really cared more about the food so that is a great sign that the infection has not spread.

18. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well thats a very good sign. Looks like you caught the infection right away before it did too much.

Give that little girl a hug for me. I know they get sore from all those pen shots. :hug:

Looks like you are doing all you can. Does she had proud flesh?

You need a :hug: to. :)

19. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    surface infection is "good" for her.

LA 200 is just the best thing for respitory but is a broad spectram antibiotic. Sounds like the Pen G though will work for you situation.

Cant hurt to go get some next time you see it though --- i like having it on hand just in case so I dont have to wait to start treatment.

Wait 24 hours between Pen and LA200 if you do choose to change the antibiotic.

LA 200 is 1cc per 20lbs (per lable instructions) does sting! choose Biomycin if you have the choice --- same active ingredient, just doesn't sting and dosage is the same.

20. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Nice thing is is that she is a bottle baby - and so easy to handle even though she is a Nubian. She is 6 months old this month and still small (only about as tall as my large wethers that are supposed to be pygmy but are huge!!)

Anyway she is a great girl and doesn't fight me at all.

She is eating and drinking well - cleaned out wound and made it bleed again this morning - looks alot better then it did. I think that it looked so bad on Sunday because it was "scabbed" over so when I opened it it started oozing. Not really smelling at all - just thickeding of the puss. So I think I was good and caught it early.

Will keep you all updated