Update on Hope (Added Pic)

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Epona142, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Here's Hope, who is supposed to be due anytime between now and early October. We brought her home in early May where she was in a herd with a white Nigerian buck, and the owner said she was most likely bred, and the experts here have agreed with that assumption in my last posts. Which is great!

But the bugger is driving me mad! Sometimes I think she looks pregnant, other times, I don't. She has DEFINITELY gained weight, as she was terribly skinny when I brought her home, and continued to be thin until I dried her off after being told she was likely pregnant. I didn't want her to have to produce milk while growing babies.

I think she might have just one kid in there, and that's why she hasn't ballooned like some of the other goats I've seen on there. Sometimes if I'm patient I can feel what I think is a kid, little flutters. She's been having white discharge from time to time as well. Her ligaments will feel softer on occasion too. It's just a tiny bit frustrating, cause I really want kids and this is my first time to be close to a goat like this.

I took some pictures today, what do you think?

(Just to let you know, yes she's on a line, but they are only tied for an hour or so each day in the evening on 25 ft lines with me sitting outside with them at ALL times, I NEVER leave them alone, and they are very good at not getting tangled, I rarely have to assist to keep the lines clear.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Re: Update on Hope (Pic Heavy)

Oh, darn. When I saw you posted on here I was hoping that Hope had her babies. :sigh:

Well, her belly doesn't look very full of kids, if any. Not really much of an udder, but you never know. . . . some does don't come into milk until right before or just after kidding. Did she dry up completely? It could just be weight gain that she really needed? The "flutters" you might be feeling could possibly be the rumen. What side are you feeling? The rumen is on the left, I think. :) Get kind of confused when I don't have a goat right in front of me. :)

When I've felt kids, I've never really felt them move around a lot, but I can definitely feel the shape of a head or butt. Lots of people on here have felt kids move around, maybe mine are just "lazy" in the womb. :)

I sure hope that Hope is bred for you and gives you healthy baby(s)! :D

3. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina

I am not sure as with mine there is no mistaken they are bred by this time in pregnancy. By now they have big ole bellies on them.
    She may have a singleton hiding in there though. :shrug: And yep some don't drop their milk until in labor, so you can't always go by that either. Only time will tell... If she is I wish you nothing but healthy, bouncing babies!!!

4. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I'll be so disappointed if she doesn't kid. :sigh:

She did dry up completely, and I think I'm feeling on the right side. You're right, its hard to remember when you're not standing right there!

I really want kids, and milk, that's why I got them to begin with, and I don't have any bucks available to breed with. For what its worth, I have not seen her go into a heat not once, and I'm out there every single day, sometimes several times, and would have noticed any signs of heat. Hubby thinks I'm mad for looking at the goat's poor backside all the time!

Here's hoping there's one little kid in there. :shrug:

5. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina

Well now if you didn't see her come into heat at all since... very good sign she may very well be bred then! And if she was dried up completely before, it does look like she has a small pouch of an udder, hard to tell with all that hair down there but it looks like it. :thumbup:
    Oh you are not the only one to go around looking at your does backside trying to watch for any signs of being bred. I do it all the time. :roll:
    I am hoping she is for you since you really want her to be. If not you could always try again right? :wink:

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

She does look very healthy...good job on your part! If she was in heat your wether woulkd let you know and she would be doing all the noises and have the swollen tush if she was in heat.
    She could have just one in there...when theres more they do have bigger bellies and carry low the closer they get to delivery.
    You are on the "right" side when you are feeling for movement, put your hand palm up in front of her udder and push gently on the right side, you will know when you feel a kid in there, if you don't feel anything and she shows no signs of labor when you think she is due, then she likely isn't preggy.....let her go and if nothing happens is there a way of getting her back to the buck she had been with? If you breed her in November she'll have April kids.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

to me ................she does not look pregnant..................especially if she is due in the beginning of Oct...................sept is 1/2 over..........the tummy just isn't talking "pregnant".........I do hope I am wrong though..................... :shrug:

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I have a doe that never ever looks pregnant. My doe is really long and hides the twins very well. She always has 7-8 lbs babies also.
    They are all so different. I also have seen them not bag up until after they kid.
    Have you seen her flagging like she is in heat at all? If you can get a good Cha Cha picture, maybe we can help.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I guess we will see in the middle of Oct...............then we will know for sure...........
    It was just MY opinion......... of what I seen from the "PICTURE",............ :shrug:

I do hope I am wrong...................... :shrug: :shrug:

10. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Thanks everyone for the opinions. I will go out in a moment and get another pooch picture, that one was not very good, she wouldn't stand still!

Now today I have been feeling for a kid. This morning I felt nothing, but I went out a little while ago and felt something in there. And then when I felt again, nothing. So maybe there is a little kid hidden in there? She's so, I guess the word is deep, its hard to get a good feel. Plus she doesn't like it too much!

I have not once seen a sign of heat at all, and Uno has not shown any special manly interest in her. I could have missed it I suppose, but if I've had her since May, I would have had to miss several, right? And I like to imagine I'm pretty good at catching heat signs in most animals.

I'll have to see about contacting the lady I got her from, but I believe she was getting out of goats when I bought Hope and Uno. I will try though, and there is another person who is just getting into Nigerians in the same area, I will try to build a relationship with them as well. I had planned on buying a buckling next year anyways, so if I have to wait, we will.

Okay, off to take a better picture for you guys.

EDITED TO ADD:

Here we go, I hope this helps.

[​IMG]

The bugger horned me in the rear-end as I was trying to feel for that strange lump again! I guess I deserved it. :shocked:

11. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Come on guys, don't forget about me now! :greengrin:

I am still feeling for kids, and boy she hates it, but I THINK I feel something in there. It's so hard to tell because her belly has grown so much larger and deeper. Looking at her, there are times I can see that the right side is definitely different, it seems to be lower and when she stands up to get at goodies on the trees, it bulges.

On the above picture, please note I had to pull her tail up to get it, she always holds her tail a funny way, to the side, which obscures the pooch, so me pulling her tail up made her rectum protrude a little more than it usually does.

Everyone PLEASE pray for a little :girl: . :pray:

12. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Well, my doe was in with a buck and came out with a false pregnacy. she got as big as a barn and everyone in the neighbor hood got so excited and started making bets on how many she had in there. :leap: after five months she began to milk. She had alot of milk .. . but no kiddies. Talitha :horse:

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Super sorry to have to say this but she looks alot like my open does...usually with a month or less to go she should have more puffiness in the vulva, so , in my opinion I'd say you'll be looking for a buck.

14. Candy

Candy New Member

Sorry but she doesn't look preggers to me---but then, I'm certainly no expert! :?
    Candy

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    No idea, but I sure hope she gives you a :girl: !

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I'm thinking she doesn't look pregnant. This close to delivery, their vulvas do look more "puffy". Sorry! :( Maybe we're wrong though, that would be so nice.

17. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Well I can't lie, its terribly disappointing, I was really really looking forward to kids. :sigh:

But I still love her and we'll see about getting a buck next year, or maybe sooner if we're lucky. I don't know why I haven't seen any signs of heat though, I will be watching much closer now.

Thanks everyone, and I'll still keep you updated!