update on mistreated herd,

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crow, Nov 23, 2009.

1. crow

crow New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Iowa
    Hello, I have been helpin the folks that had the herd in such bad shape that I spoke of last month or so, well they are alot better, but I still have a couple that cant get up at times, they just lie there and kick, and cry. I help them up and they seem ok then. what is this? I have got them all minerals now and proper feedin/waterin, Im not familar with this kinda thing as my herd is like spoiled really really bad! and sick dying goats I know nothing about. would a shot of b12 and some dolamite help? I am going to tell them they really need a vet to come out and look at them. they claim they took one to the vet, but I think the vet needs to see the big pitcure, I have tried everything with these folks and their startin to really get under my skin. they just seem to not give at hoot bout the goats, If they dont get a vet out, the next move is to bring in the sheirf. I really think if it wasent for me being there they would of all been dead by now. and Im taking a big chance even getting round these goats, I strip/shower before going round my herd. but its still a risk. some folks you just cant help. mabey a couple days tied to a tree out in the woods with no food/water would open their eyes? :shades:

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wow. could it be bloat?

sometimes after getting feed changes, or getting onto green pastures or grain will cause bloat. Which in their case might be the problem since the goats' nutrition is changing. check the goats' sides to see if theyre hard...

Could also be acidosis http://www.jackmauldin.com/health/acidosis.htm
    enterotoxaemia http://www.jackmauldin.com/health/enterotoxaemia.htm
    White Muscle Disease http://www.jackmauldin.com/health/white_muscle_disease.htm

tell them to check temps, look at eyes, etc...

good job trying to educate people, and save some goats :hug:

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I don't think it's bloat, sounds a lot more like white muscle or even just emaciation...I remember on the last thread you were saying they were thin. If they're really weak and don't have enough muscle mass to pick themselves up??

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    them not being able to get up could be from them not having the right care and nutrition for so long that they just dont have the stamina to get up.

How long has this been going on? have you documented what you have done and suggested to these people? that will go further when you go and "report them"

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Kylee you and I posted at the same time

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I think ...it may lack of nutrition for a long period of time also....they could be mineral deficient ....even having the minerals available to them... free choice....doesn't mean ....their bodies are getting enough......and may take a while... for it to get up to ....how much the body needs to regulate properly.... :( It is so hard.... to say... what exactly they are lacking ...without testing them for it..... I know... it is out of your hands on doing that.....the problem is....guessing and over dosing minerals.... can create big problems... as well....tough call... :doh: :help: ....
    I highly commend you ...on helping those goats....and it is sad ....that those people... are not waking up about it...... intervention may need to happen ....as you said.....but even then....some people ....don't listen then either.... :( .... it must be very frustrating for you... :hug:

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    The goats are probably going to need warm shelters, free choice grass and regular feeding of alfalfa or some other type of good quality fatty hay. They're going to need a lot of tender loving care if the poor things are going to survive. Unfortunately when they start going down like that and not able to get up on their own that's not a good sign.

8. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I would put them on a high mineral drench. The molasses in the drench will give them a little bit of a boost. They are weak and their muscles do not have the strength to get them to stand. Keep them warm as warm muscles work better. With proper care i think they will improve. Several years ago I took in a goat that was tied to a tree that had no food or water for a very long time .... she looked like something you would see on the side of the road. After 3 months of care she looked very healthy and you would never guess she was a skeleton at one time.

9. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    Good for you trying to help those poor goats!
    Not even being able to stand sounds quite serious. Is really hard to know what all is really going on without running some tests. Would the owners be willing to turn them over to a animal rescue?