The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past few days seems she will not touch her grain. She only eats the cup of alfafa. Has anybody else had this issue?I got my supplies to draw her blood and send it off so hopefully I will get it sent and will get the results by next Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
when is she due to kid?? Any temp?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure if she is even pregnant yet. I just got my supplies to draw her blood then I have to send it out. But she is only about 5 months old so I'm hoping she is not!

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Off feed could be a few things...does she have a fever? hows her lower inner eye lids? pale, bright pink or red? was she treated for Cocci/worms? how she acting other than not eating well? palyful? active, bright eye and alert..drinking plenty of water? peeing and pooping ok? at five weeks they tend to do more playful nibbling then actually eating..some tend to eat more than others..what has been her normal up til now??

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is 5 months old. She's acting like her normal self. I give her 2 cups of grain with 1 cup of alfafa mixed she eats all the alfafa and leaves the grain. I have her coccidia treatment while she was on the bottle every week. She was wormed when we got her back in April with ivermectin injection. She's not showing any signs of worms, her output is normal. I have been concerned with her because she is getting wider than my other two girls that are of the same age. It doesn't feel like she's just getting fat. I'm new at this but it does look like her vulva is a little swollen and her udder a little bigger. But it could be me just being paranoid too. Lol

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
sounds like you are doing eveything right...a blood test will clear any pregnacy mystery..hopefully the swollen girly parts are from her coming into heat and some does do get a fatty udder when they come into heat the first time....
she may not like the feed..mine will pick around the alfalfa , eat everything but alfalfa pellets lol
as long as she is grazing, drinking, pooping berries, peeing, bright eye and alert, no fever or depression..then I wouldnt worry too much....browse and hay is most important at this age imo...good luck with the blood test..fingers crossed for a negative report

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My other girls do the same thing eat all the feed and leave most of the alfafa. Lol that's why I thought it was so strange. I tried drawing her blood but its not as easy as drawing on a human. Lol but of course my holders weren't exactly very good at holding her either. I may just have to take her to the vet. I have a friend that may be able to help me as well.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
My first time drawingblood was a disaster! My goats acted like I was dracula trying to kill them off lol..I tried on three does and gave up feeling pretty defeated lol..had my supplies for about a year before trying again...a friend came and showed me a few tricks..She straddled the goat and held her head at a slight angle, but relaxed., a sat in front of the goat on a kid chair so I was at level with what I was doing....I put my thumb on the vien and wrapped the rest of my hand aroundher neck for support..the needle should be at an almost flat position I place the needle ont eh bulging vien and count to three..On three my holder was prepared as I slipped the needle in..I use the vacum sealed double needle thingie lol..once I saw blood I psuhed the vile into the bottom needle and filled it..I then removed my thumb from the vien and placed it at the injection sight and pulled the needle out...all done..Took me less than 30 minutes to do 11 goats...Some use a regular syringe and transfered theblood to the red tip vile..so if thats easier you do ..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol yes she is used to me more than anybody and she was just so tense so it was hard keeping the vein in place because they were holding her tight. It that freaked her out more. I tried telling my husband and son to keep her relaxed. They was afraid of getting stuck and all in the end somehow I got jabbed in the leg. Lol I was a phlebotomist 12 years ago but haven't done it for at least 6 years since my middle son was born. So I'm a little rusty but its a skill you never really forget. But animals is so different! Lol

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I understand..I think my first time would have gone easier if my daughter was helping me instead of my teen son who has very little patients lol.. My hand got stabbed in the process and boy that made me loose my patients with my son lol
Goats pick up on the stress in the room, I think that is why I had better success the second time..we were all relaxed since my friend knew what she was doing..You can do it : ) Better than paying a vet :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes my friend is a vet tech and she is gonna come over and help me so I will have my teenage son watch my younger two. On another note she still keeps leaving her grain but eating all the alfafa. Would it be ok to give her another cup of alfalfa because she is getting thin by her backbone area. Not sure what its called lol. She's still wider. But she has never gotten thin like this.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
It wont hurt to increase her pellets..but go slowly so her tummy adjust to more..is she eating hay well?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts