update on non-eating nubian kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by billmac, Apr 22, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    My original post was in Goat Frenzy. 3 nubian kids 5-7 days old. Two are eating like it's their job. The third, a doeling, just does not want to take a bottle. She actually goes and hides in the corner when she sees us coming. She will nibble hay, and will nibble our chins and hair, but just does not want to eat from a bottle. We're getting upset and frustrated. So far, she isn't showing unusual weakness although she isn't as lively as the other two. We're getting 4-6 oz of milk / milk replacer into her 4 times a day. Every drop is a struggle. We've tried 3 different nipple styles. She just won't suck, so the free-er flowing nipples are working best, although we are worried about her aspirating some of the liquid so there is a lot of starting and stopping.

Her stomach sounds a little rumbly to us, but I don't know if that is normal. Our vet is not a goat expert, so I don't know if he will be much help. The only thing he told us is not to try tube feeding while she's still somewhat lively.

This morning's feeding went a little better. Didn't actively feed, but didn't put up much of a fight until we got about 6 oz into her. Then she had had enough.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Maybe try giving just plain milk and no replacer?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    did she every suck off mom?

4. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Yes, she did nurse for a few days. I know that's not an ideal situation but that's what we've got. (we don't own the mother)

Straight milk, milk replacer, or a mixture. It doesn't seem to matter.

Does it make sense to give her some nutri-drench? (I just picked some up) If so, do I just stick the pump tip in the side of her mouth and pump some in?

Thanks

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes nutri drench will give her some good vitamines. Use a syringe (no needle) to give it.

As to nursing off mom -- sometimes they never get the idea of thebottle after having nursed off mom. :sigh: but she is young yet -- if she doesnt get herself sick she might just get the hang of it

6. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Can someone tell me how to use a drenching syringe? I don't want to shoot nutri-drench down her lungs.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I just put it in their cheek in the back of theirmouth and they are able to take it and not spit much out. You might need to tube her to get some food in her. Also, Tr just drenching her some milk and hopefully she will start to suck on that and get the hand of it again.
    Good Luck