Update on Sailor's Moon

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by kelebek, Jan 22, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Sailor's Moon seems to be doing ok - but not as spunky as I would like to see. I checked on her at 2:00 am this morning and her and her brother were laying down and mom was standing in the corner. (we have a tarp and blankets down in the basement where the thermostat is set at 50 degrees.

At 6:00 am I went to clean the area and change the linens. Mom got up and so did keebler to nurse, but Moon just stayed laying down. She does not seem to "curl" up like moon does to sleep. When I started petting her, she got up and went to nurse. Again mom pulled the "stimulate keebler to eat - but not moon" she drank but her tummy was rumbling when she went back to laydown. I got her up again so that she could nurse. She nursed and then came over and layed on me. I warmed the colostrum up that I have from yesterday, and she wanted nothing to do with the bottle. When she did holler from not wanting the bottle mom walked over and looked at her but nothing else.

I tried to milk mom this morning and it seemed like the kids had taken everything that she had. There was nothing. Her udder felt like it did prior to kidding. or even a bit smaller.

Keeblers belly felt really full - but Moon's felt only 1/2 to 3/4 full.

Do you all think that I should just go ahead and pull her. Keebler is starting to climb on me and want nose pets. Moon will just lay down and that is it. It seemed like the kids were both in the same place at 6 am as they were at 2 am

Thanks
    Allison

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I would go ahead and pull her to ensure she eats.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would pull her mom isn't taking to her and you may loose her if she doesn't get enough.

When really hungry she will take the bottle. That means removing her from mom so she can't take any sips of milk

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I take it you decided not to bottle Keebler? I was thinking that if you were still going to pull him, do it soon so Daisy doesn't have a choice but to put her attentions on Moon, which is entirely possible as she's not being aggressive with her , just distracted by Keebler.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thank you all -

I am so torn - Keebler is going to be a bottle baby - but long story short - he is leaving this weekend, and I just can not bring myself to pull him and the lady wants him with mom till she gets him.

So do I pull the boy - and hope to god that mom takes the girl - or do I just pull the girl now and deal with the boy at his new home??? The boy is leaving either this weekend or on Monday at the latest........

Thanks
    Allison

6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I would pull keebler because by this weekend he will have a string bond with his mother.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    ok - I will pull him tonight when I get home.

What if mom still does not take Moon after he is pulled? How long should I watch her??

Thank you all for all of your help!

I AM NEVER SELLING A BOTTLE BABY AGAIN! I feel so aweful!

Al

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Give her a few hours and then decide if you need to pull her.If dhe dtill hasn't eaten pull her.

9. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Yep, I would give her a little while. In fact you could probably just leave her with mom, but keep supplementing her with the bottle. Is she sucking any better??

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    She is sucking better when mom will allow it. Which happens to be only when brother is eating. I noticed this morning to that Keebler was sbutting her out of the way off of "her" teat and taking hers

11. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Oh he is a rambunctious lil' fella! Wow. Silly boy.
    I am glad she is sucking better. That is a really good sign! Just keep checking her tummy. You just don't want her to get too empty.
    One idea is maybe separate Keebler from mom for a while, so Daisy's udder has a chance to fill.. and so that Moon gets more to eat instead of having Mr. Piggy eat it all :D. And then of course holding Daisy so Moon can eat after a while.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I hate to say this but I really doubt that the mom is going to take Moon. She is going to be destraught that you took her son and will totaly ignor Moon.

Maybe this is my pessimistic side coming out but that is what my gut is telling me.

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    She is sucking better when mom will allow it. Which happens to be only when brother is eating. I noticed this morning to that Keebler was sbutting her out of the way off of "her" teat and taking hers

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Moon is doing alot better tonight. When I got home both were feeding and both were jumping around and trying to run. They both were doing so good. It was nice to see moon acting like her brother.

I have pulled her brother tonight - just a bit ago - and we will start him on the bottle tommorrow.

Also mom was licking and cleaning Moon tonight, which she has never done before. WOO HOO!

15. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    OMG Allison, I was sooo relieved to hear that! Yay! I am so happy now. It seems like things are going to be OK. :) Yay!! Go Daisy, go Moon, go Keebler!!

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how did things go this morning with keebler and the bottle?

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    He drank about 2-3 ounces this morning from the bottle at 5:30 this morning. He wasn't to sure about it and fought a little bit - but not bad.

I tried to give him a bit more about an hour later and he didn't want it. He was following me around like a little puppy. It was cute.

Mom and Moon were doing really well. Mom is really turning and loving on Moon now. So that is good.

I will be leaving a couple times today to go feed Keebler. He is about 5 minute sup the road from my work at a doggie daycare that friends own and they have him in his kennel in the back room so that he is not disturbed.

Will let you kno whow today goes

18. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    That is Great!!! Let's hope that she does even better!!!

19. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Aww, I am so glad Allison! Things are working out just right :). Yay!

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh that is great - glad he did take to the bottle and daisy is taking to Moon - see I am not always right and this time I am thankful I wasn't :D